1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Chat Room

Discussion in 'Empty Closets Help and Feedback' started by Paul_UK, Jun 9, 2007.

1. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

As discussed in the Chat Room Abuse thread, I have now set up a new chat room using FlashChat.

The Chat Room link at the top of the page will take you to a page giving some important information. PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE REGISTERING.

Hopefully it should all work OK. If you have any problems, tell us in this thread.

Enjoy! :slight_smile:

2. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

3. Steam Giant

the "new user registration" link leads to a page that says "Profiles are only supported for defaultCMS and statelessCMS"

is this normal?

4. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

No, I changed something and managed to break it! I'm trying to fix it now.....

5. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

It should be working OK again now. I changed a configuration file but accidentally uploaded the default one rather than my modified one. :bang:

This happened while I was trying to install a chat logging add-on (which is now installed and working too).

Steam Giant - if you created a login you'll need to do it again as it was incomplete in the database (so I deleted it).

6. Steam Giant

Thanks, I'll get right on that! ^^

7. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Good to see you in there briefly, SG! There are three of us in there currently and there were four a little while ago. It seems to be working OK.

8. jayden

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    me and kimi were in the new chat room last night i think me and kimi were the first one to use it maybe??? i had it a bit hard to under stand how to register but did it it is very good paul you have done a good job(!) :slight_smile:

9. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Yes, you and Kimi had the first conversation in there!

10. Kimi

All right(!!)

:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

11. Steam Giant

A couple of things. First, we had a bunch of people in the chatroom the other day. I can't recall if it was 7 or 9, but it was crowded ^^ and that was fun.

Also, yesterday some people, including me were kicked out a few times, usually around the same time. Why might that have happened?

12. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I can only think of one reason that everyone would be kicked out, which would happen once a day. That is when MySQL is stopped momentarily while the database is backed up. I think that happens at about 2am UK time.

It was also set to allow no more than 10 people per room, which would include the main room. If there were more people trying to get in, I guess this could cause some to be kicked out? I have just increased the limit to 20 people. I am increasing things like this gradually as I don't want it to affect other sites on the server (especially the two eCommerce sites that pay for it).

13. paul7836

hmm. I doubt it was a mysql backup, as it was happening quite frequently to me at least. Then again I was using the chat room in a windows 2k Virtual machine. (so the internet could have been dropping out)

14. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

It seemed unlikely to me too. If it was that, it would happen just once a day.

If it happens again try a traceroute to www.emptyclosets.net to see if there is network issues affecting the connection to the server.

15. paul7836

good idea, ill try that next time it drops. What it would do is put me back to the login screen, and after i login again all is well.

16. Steam Giant

for me, I was kicked off at around...oh man, was it around 2 PM? or maybe later? The chatroom would be silent, I'd say something and it wouldn't show up, and after a bit it would put me back onto the login screen. I'd log back in, but it'd kick me off pretty quickly after that. I'd have to log back in 2 to 3 times before it decided to like me again. Then, it happened again around...midnight? These are east coast times, BTW...

Oh, and when I was kicked off around the afternoon, there were much fewer people in the room...maybe 5 or 6 at most

17. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Traceroutes would certainly help show if it's a network issue, and would give me some info for the hosting company. If you can convert the times to GMT that would help too (if not give the time there and the difference from GMT).

18. Steam Giant

I don't know of the specific times, but a keyword search for "kicked off" or "kicked out" in the log file would find it ^^ I announced it every time it happened. As far as my estimated times converted to GMT, let's say something like 1500 and 000

19. Steam Giant

Paul7836 is in the chatroom now, and just got back from being kicked out

20. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There is a little bug - when one clicks on the "Enter the chat room" link on the information page, it opens a new tab, or a new window in older versions of Micro$oft Internet Explorer...