1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Redux from Age gap/sexual relationship thread

Discussion in 'Empty Closets Help and Feedback' started by SiennaFire, Jan 24, 2016.

1. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In the interest of transparency and user education, would it be possible to educate the community and share the scholarly research and current thinking among professionals with the EC community in some form? This seems to be in alignment with ECCS's core mission and values and would offer a somewhat more scalable approach that might even reduce the need for tactical posts by EC staff.

2. Ram90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    ^

I would second that motion. There seems to be quite a few threads posted in the last few weeks pertaining to the same topic.

3. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey,

I know that there have been discussions in the past amongst staff regarding the development of resources that can help present such information in a more generalised, empathy-driven and compassionate manner. A resource page would certainly be a good way of preventing this from happening to the same level of frequency, as it would minimise instances when the tone and language used can often cause the essence of somebody's point to get lost in translation.

Presently, it's quite difficult to implement new resources into the site, because the section itself is on a 'publication freeze' to minimise the workload of the migration to the new platform. Additionally, it also wouldn't surprise me if there are members who aren't even aware we have a resource section, because of how little it is integrated into the site. Therefore, it's possible that creating this page also wouldn't really do much to necessarily address the overall situation anyway, so I'm not immediately sure what the best approach would be. One for the drawing board, methinks. :slight_smile:

Martin.

4. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey Martin,

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my question. I can certainly appreciate that given the transition to the new site, it does not make sense to invest in resource integration in the current site.

I hope your remark "One for the drawing board, methinks" was a genuine statement that there's value in the suggestion rather than a polite way of brushing the request aside. I genuinely believe ECCS has an opportunity to make the research and professional current thought more accessible to the EC constituency. Personally I would love to consume this information in a non-piecemeal fashion. Sometimes I feel that one needs a PhD and clinical practice to be a credible contributor to the site. I understand that relative to current priority of site migration this is a lower priority in the queue; however, hopefully the idea will gain mindshare with the ECCS leadership over time.

Best