1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anonymous Tales

Discussion in 'Empty Closets Help and Feedback' started by Really, Mar 3, 2016.

1. Really

I wonder if there isn't a way for people to post anonymously about their real world adventures, for want of a better word.

There was a very good thread going about one user's foray into the lesbian social scene and she was going to recount her attempts in the dating world when the thread was closed.

She wasn't strictly asking for advice although once in a while she did but I think it was still helpful and illuminating for others to read the sorts of things she encountered. And who's to say someone wouldn't have asked her for advice further down the line.

One of the reasons given for closing the thread was that it was becoming too long but there have been some threads that have gone on much longer than this one.

I'm not sure why she was posting anonymously but she may have felt freer to give more details. I think these sorts of posts are actually quite helpful to ease the anxieties of some who might otherwise feel they couldn't face the unknown but now they might think about it, having a better idea of what's out there.

2. RawringSnake

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Isn't that what blog posts are for? I mean, I know which thread you are talking about, and past a certain point it became, by all intents and purposes, a blog of it's own. I don't see why that should be an ongoing thread in the support section when there is a already a place for diaries within blogs posts.

As for the anonymity thing, unless you have pictures of you in your profile or you make habit out of revealing specific details about your identity here, our accounts are already anonymous. You can see my username and my avatar, but you have no idea of who I am or how to look for me, can you?

#2 RawringSnake, Mar 3, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
  3. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello there! I'm sorry that I wasn't very clear in my closing message in the thread in question. :slight_smile: When I said it was 'long', I meant that it had really turned into a blog-style thread spanning months. As RawringSnake points out, we have wall posts and blogs for that kind of thing.

The anonymous forum in particular is reserved for support posts, and the thread had grown beyond that. More information about the rules for anonymous posting can be found here where it says that "this [is not] a forum for conducting general discussions in an anonymous manner".

I understand some members may want a place to have general anonymous discussions. While the admins do give thought to every suggestion, this isn't something we're looking at doing in the near future.

For the time being, users are free to use wall messages and the blog system to keep people updated, as RawringSnake suggested. :slight_smile:

4. Really

I guess I was thinking of a central spot where people could post their stories instead of readers having to comb through everyone's blog to find them. And the writers not having to advertise for views. And they might want to keep these separate from more personal blog posts.

It's too bad because these could be a collection of success stories - separate from the Coming Out ones.