1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sticky for Coming Out Letters?

Discussion in 'Empty Closets Help and Feedback' started by EM68, Feb 23, 2009.

1. EM68

I had an idea. Is it possible to start a sticky in the Coming Out section for Coming Out Letters? Over the past few months I have seen a number of posts were members have said that they want to write a letter, but they do not where to start. Maybe have it set up so members can post their letters for everyone can see and give suggestion,others can use for inspiration, etc.

2. crystaltriforce

that sounds like a great idea

3. Crackajack

Crackajack Guest

I wrote a note to my mum and dad, i think its a great idea if your shy to say like i was.

4. mcrteenagers

I think its a great idea for starters. The hardest part of writing anything is starting to write it - providing some example letters (if some members would like to share) would just be helpful in understanding some things to say and how to go about it.

5. Techcompu2

it sounds like a good idea to me. but I think that at least a link to it should be put in the resources section on coming out too.

6. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Its a wonderful idea!

7. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think that would be a great idea!

8. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I agree, and it's something we are going to work on, probably for the resources section rather than a sticky.

If anyone has the time to find some of the good ones and post links in this thread that would really help us. Thanks!

9. Greggers

I have mine still, id be happy to post it. Its lengthy, but heh oh well

10. Techcompu2

in that case, what about a link in the current sticky entitled: "Coming Out Resources"? I think I only looked at the full resources page after lurking for a bit on here.

11. EM68

12. NateDawg

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    WOuld be great for a sticky!

13. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey peeps,

Paul has asked me to get this set up and I am nearly ready to start getting it all processed once I get the plans finalised. That's currently pending whilst I wait for Paul to get back to me with a few queries I have about it.

The plans I have involve adding the letters to a resources section, similar to the Coming Out Stories bit. This would be the best way to have it displayed as one thread could become pretty cramped and could also lead to confusion if we have numerous members trying to get advice on numerous letters. Either way a resources section is going to be set up, but can somebody just verify for me what goes in this thread? If they're copies of the letters then I can work with that, but if it's a discussion thread then it may need explaining further so that I know how it's not going to become one massive mess.

I think it's an excellent idea, but I'm just having trouble understanding how the thread aspect of it works, which isn't ideal when you've been asked to get it all set up. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Edit: Rightio, I've had a response to my queries which also agree with the letters going in a resources section and the thread being used to link there. I haven't been told it would be used for anything else. Is this ok or did you all have something else in mind?

14. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Rightio, 7 letters are currently set up. I have left room for up to 3 more so that hopefully we can get some letters added later that are about bisexuals, trans and possibly even asexuals.

Another thing I do feel is missing is an advice page on how to write a coming out letter. If people post a few short points in here then I will create an advice page using them that can be added into the section. :slight_smile:

The Introduction page is not finished yet.

15. biisme

I have a couple of letters/messages that are about coming out bisexual. As for points (in general) for a letter:

- Speak from your heart/ Say what you feel.
    - Stress that you are the same person you always were.
    - Ask that they make an effort to understand, even if they can't immediately accept it.