1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suggestion: Ability to see your anonymous posts in your posting history

Discussion in 'Empty Closets Help and Feedback' started by BobObob, May 18, 2016.

1. BobObob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Some people may want to check in on old threads they started or posted in by checking their comment history. I have had a few times where I wanted to check in on an thread I posted in a week ago in case anyone posted after me, but had difficulty looking for it because it didn't appear in my comment history. I think it would be nice if each individual could see their own anonymous posts in their posting history (while not appearing in the comment history when viewed by others of course).

2. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm on the fence about this. I can certainly see the benefit of it, but my immediate concern would be that having a page in which all this is readily accessible to that member also poses significant potential for them to be embarrassed about their posting history in there, should their account be compromised. Obviously, any account being compromised is going to be deeply troubling for that member, but at least the damage is limited by the data we collect and display, and them only being able to search for content that the member has posted knowingly under their own alias. However, if that is changed so that Anons automatically display inside a Control Panel type page, it is effectively a database of sensitive information for somebody to access.

It's interesting that this proposal popped up today, as I was working on the anonymous feature for EC's Invision Power Board platform earlier today so it's fresh in my mind. What we're actually trying to achieve is a system that goes in the opposite direction by further distancing an OP from their anonymous post. The new feature we're planning to use incorporates authenticity into its posting by automatically generating MD5 hashes whenever somebody posts anonymously. For example, member X posts a thread anonymously. They'll be assigned a unique hashcode for that post which is automatically attached. Any future replies in that thread will also attach that hash to their post, thus allowing readers to know that it is the OP who is genuinely replying. When they post a new thread, a new hash is generated, which will remain the same for every post they make inside that thread, and so on. At present, we have to take it on trust that somebody claiming to be the OP actually is so, whereas this feature will allow us to know for sure in a way that cannot compromise the identity of anybody posting anonymously. Additionally, the anon logs themselves are going to be guarded by additional layers of privacy, as there'll be greater levels of control over a) who has access to them, and b) the information that a person must know to access that page. Therefore, you can't just hack a member or staff member's account and then have a way of accessing anon logs. In the former case, it just isn't readily available, and in the latter case you would need to know additional access credentials that aren't stored on-site.

I can certainly see why this would be of use to people, but I sort of wonder whether it's the most effective way of going about it. Instead, perhaps a more viable solution would be to either encourage OP's to subscribe to threads when they've posted in Anon, or to see if automatic subscription would be an option. The latter might be difficult, due to the way that Anon strips user ID and applies it to a whole new account, but it could be looked into. Either way, I think thread subscriptions might perhaps be a more suitable alternative, as many individuals use it for a whole range of things. As such, if their account ever was compromised and the hacker saw various Anon threads in their subscription history, there would be no way of confirming that it's there because the OP specifically posted it. It's an indication, but there's also plausible reasons for why it might have been subscribed to. If they're given an all-encompassing log inside their control panel, it's all conclusive information that the person would be able to know about the account holder.

That's my immediate two cents. It's something I'll have to ponder and also see what other members think.

3. BobObob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think that this can be averted (depending on how the system is set up) by giving the user the choice of whether or not they want it to privately appear in their posting history. Perhaps you could make the more privacy-focused option of it not appearing in their private history the default if you want to be safe.

Perhaps an automatic subscription, or explicitly present subscribing to a thread as a check box next to the "Make Post Anonymously" check box, could work.

I'm in the habit of using my posting history to find threads I'm interested in. It works ~99% of the time, and I can use it to find where in the thread I last read. Therefore, I rarely ever think to subscribe to threads. I suspect that many others have similar habits.

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's definitely an interesting idea. We have a pretty long "wish list" for the new platform now that we're getting closer to being able to make the shift, and this suggestion is one that hasn't come up before so it's something we'll add for consideration.

If/when it happens is another thing, in part for the reasons Martin's already mentioned, but at least we'll add it to the list to be considered.

5. ChillPenguin

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I honestly wouldn't like this. While it sounds good on paper it may honestly just put people off posting altogether and I'm sure that's the opposite of what EC would want.

I know I'd feel uncomfortable making myself anonymous again if I feel my posts have been saved and linked to my account anyway.

6. Ram90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This. It's the simple click of a button, to a drop down list and another click. Fair enough to understand and execute. My vote is for this. :slight_smile: