1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Allow certain types of contact information

Discussion in 'Empty Closets Help and Feedback' started by ThatRangerGirl, Jun 7, 2016.

1. ThatRangerGirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    While the anonymity of EC is good, I feel part of a support group is the ability to make friends, but that is significantly lessened by having no off site contact. While there are ways around this for full members, there aren't for regular members, and even with full members it's very restricted.

2. Glowing Eyes

I'd like this as well.

3. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't really see how allowing certain types would be different than allowing all contact info? I mean once you give somebody your fb/style/whatever, then you can give any contact info you want on that new, uncensored site.

Personally, I think that it's good the way it is. I've seen numerous people banned for some damn creepy stuff (making up stories, lying about who they are or where they're from etc). Especially with how lonely it can be being a gay teen, I think that would attract creepers who would take advantage of that.

4. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree.

5. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As HM03 has pointed out, we are aware that EC has more security and privacy rules than most websites- however, since implementing these rules the website has become much, much safer. The Full Membership process allows us to catch problems before they happen, and make sure (to the best of our ability) that people are here for the right reasons. It's one of the main reasons that Empty Closets can cater for young and vulnerable people from the age of 13.

I wouldn't say that off-site contact between Full Members is 'very restricted'. All we ask is that you share any contact information privately (the only way to do this is via PM to another Full Member) and that you think carefully before doing so. :slight_smile:

As for Regular Members, everyone is welcome to use the wall messaging system to chat! In fact, most members use this to keep in contact with each other, even if they do have access to Private Messages.

We understand that people here make friends- that's great and is perfectly allowed! However, we are primarily a Support website and safety always has to come first. It may be inconvenient waiting to become a Full Member- but ultimately I think that's a small price to pay for the increased protection that EC offers.

6. ThatRangerGirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    That makes it different. Somehow I thought even full members could only exchange emails, which most people don't even use for communication anymore.

7. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, you're free to exchange the usual stuff. :slight_smile: Obviously, we still recommend caution when swapping contact information with people- you'll still have to think carefully about what information you want to give away.

Hopefully this clears things up! :icon_bigg