1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Albums are gone?

Discussion in 'Empty Closets Help and Feedback' started by Elven, Apr 30, 2009.

1. Elven

I don't know if I must have pressed something but the two albums I created, one for Profile Pictures and one for Anime Pic's have disappeared?! I don't know did a Mod delete them for some reason or could I have accidently done something?:confused:

2. Shevanel

Copyright Violation most likely.

3. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There has recently been numerous albums removed due to copyright infringement. The picture approval system is being implemented shortly, and before that is done we have been trying to remove as many copyrighted pictures as we can find. It's likely that a few more pictures/albums will disappear before the system is implemented. It's important that such pictures are removed as having them hosted directly on EC's server makes the site liable should the copyright owner decide to go all legal on our ass. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

If you believe any removed pictures were not copyrighted then you are welcome to post in Ask The Staff and it can be discussed further there.

4. Elven

OK well thanks :slight_smile: I highly doubt they were all copyrighted, but then again I don't look into it half the time XD I'll try to snaz up my profile after the updates then :3

5. GhostDog

Copyright law says that unless the creator of an image specifies otherwise, it is automatically copyrighted. So unless the author of an image says it's public domain or free for use or whatever, assume it's copyrighted. It may vary by country, but the Berne Convention's fairly widespread.

That said, I don't think it likely that an image being re-posted on a forum somewhere is going to offend the author -- I think that's more likely to be the case if you were trying to make money off of it -- but if they wish to control the distribution of their images then it's within their rights. Most people don't have the time or energy to get miffed at people just for re-posting their images on the internet, though!

6. Just Adam

artists usually like there work used and seen aslong for not financial gain, as it brings them publicity and people can appreciate theyre work. i do alot of edit photoshoping work and anything i create myself i want others to use if they like i dont mind at all :slight_smile: aslong as people know i did it lol

7. Zac4

does this mean my avatar is gonna disappear?

8. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well we should really remove any pictures that are copyrighted, but realistically it would be impossible to do without going approval/censor crazy. We always say that members should not upload anything they do not own the copyright to, but we know that people will still do it regardless. If somebody complains about an avatar breaching copyright then obviously it will be removed, but I can't see many copyright owners wanting to sue us for a 100 by 100 pixel picture on a forum.

Avatars really would be difficult to approve, so for now I think only removing them if they're sexually explicit or inappropriate is the best approach to take.