1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IM toolbar on EC?

Discussion in 'Empty Closets Help and Feedback' started by kettleoffish, May 31, 2010.

1. kettleoffish

just a suggestion - on some other forums I frequent there's an instant message bar (not unlike the one facebook used to have) at the bottom of the screen and you can see which of your friends are online, and message them. I know Meebo provide the service to some sites, although I don't know if it costs, or what the technical aspects would be like, but it seems like a nice idea.

I know we have a chatroom, but this would be for individual one to one messaging, like AIM, MSN, FB chat, whatever. And I suppose, like the chatroom, it would only be available to full members.

What are people's opinions on this? do you think it would be a good idea? Staff - is this something which would be possible? Or does it go against EC privacy/safety rules?

2. Corny

Corny Guest

actually we have been looking into this and really like that system. i am not sure if it is the same that you have seen (PM me a link please) but the one that we looked at wasn't "free" :frowning2:
    but at the moment there are a few more important things that have to come first. but it's still on the list :wink:

3. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ^ I imagine it's pretty much identical. The one that we've suggested behind the scenes works in the exact same way as described above, afaik.

Saying that, there's nothing else that can be said on this type of idea because it hasn't been discussed beyond the "Ooo, it looks good" stage.

4. Shevanel

How exactly will this type of activity be monitored though?

Also, I know which forum you're referring to, Kettleoffish :wink: xD

5. Corny

Corny Guest

from the look and feel ... yep. but it also has a twitter/facebook/jabber/yaim gateway. so not the same :wink:

6. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

I'm guessing there is a ton of logging going on when messages get sent. If not, you could probably add that to the modification; modifying PHP scripts is relatively easy as long as the code isn't encrypted or obfuscated.

7. Corny

Corny Guest

no that is not how it works. THEY manage and control that bar, you just use it.
    also they have a copyright that would prevent you from doing so, even if you could :wink:

8. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

Interesting; most modifications for vB (with the exception of paid flash add-ons like chat rooms) are usually run completely server-side (unless this isn't a vB mod).

#8 Swamp56, May 31, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2010
  9. Corny

Corny Guest

sure .. because we will run a jabber,yaim,oscar and msn gateway as well! yeah this IS serverside but on THEIR servers. and it is not a vB mod.

I'd be the first to start vi and teach some mod how it should behave but I just said that this is

a) not what we're looking for
    b) violating basic EC rules

so it is a moot point arguing what you could possibly hack or not.

I had a look at a similar system (in regards of the handling) though, but as I also said above it's not very high priority right now.