1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Re: Christmas and New Years Section

Discussion in 'Empty Closets Help and Feedback' started by Numfarh, Dec 6, 2010.

1. Numfarh

Numfarh Guest

Can we change the title and swing to be more open to other traditions/world views? A simple change to "Holiday Season and New Years" would be much more inclusive.

Just remember we aren't all Christians on this board. If we are going to celebrate the holiday season on the forum, all of the holidays either deserve equal representation or we should just scrap the idea all together. I personally want to talk about the science behind the Winter Solstice, for example, but it would appear that the section is limited to Christmas and New Years.

Just a thought and shouldn't take much to change.

Happy Holidays!

2. Tim

Tim

I agree, but you're kind've being judgmental.

I'm not Christian, but I celebrate Christmas. It's a national holiday in the US, and has gone away from the religious views for MANY people.

I know it's not that way around the world, but assuming everyone who celebrates it are Christians is just as bad as a forum specifically for Christmas. :S

I'd honestly just prefer a "Holiday Board" and leave it active year-round.

3. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've got no issues with changing it.

Lex

4. Numfarh

Numfarh Guest

Hey no. I mean, I'm not a Christian either and I celebrate Christmas. I'm really trying to get across that labeling something a "Christmas and New Years" section is not inclusive. This is a support forum and everyone should feel equally represented or we aren't doing our job right.

5. BasketCase

Has anyone ever indicated any offence at the temporary forum?

6. Jiggles

Jiggles Guest

Tbh I don't see any problems with it. People can post other holidays in there as well if they are about the same time and no ones complained. Its one of these it goes with out saying.

7. Numfarh

Numfarh Guest

It is not that I'm offended. I'm really just thinking that we keep calling this forum a support place and yet we are neglecting a significant portion of our members by turning a blind eye to other holidays around the Winter Solstice.

It doesn't go without saying. What if we had changed the name of the "LGBT News" section to just "Gay News"? Would it go without saying that we can post news articles related to trans rights there as well?

It isn't that hard to change the title and I believe it should be changed as soon as possible.

8. BasketCase

By saying 'it should be changed as soon as possible' it makes it sound like there is a huge problem.

'Happy Holidays Forum' etc. seems really cheesy to me.

9. Darkwing65

I have a huge problem with it. Well, not really. However, i do think as a site thats goal is to promote equality and openness would be better suited to change the name to 'Holiday Season' or something. Christmas just seems very exclusive to me. I haven't really gone into this section because it say Christmas in the tittle. I'm a Christian and celebrate Christmas, but I'm not going to lie, Christmas just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Besides, issues around this time of year don't all pertain to Christmas. Just the thoughts of this fool.

10. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

I know to some it might seem like the most insignificant thing, but it matters to some people reading the forums.

If by changing a tittle we can help some people feel more included then I don't really see a problem with it.

11. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    >>>Has anyone ever indicated any offence at the temporary forum?

If they were offended, they probably wouldn't go in. :slight_smile:

I'll see about having it changed.

Lex

12. BasketCase

They probably would have said something about it though.

So far all that has been said is 'its not a big deal but it must be changed'.

Aside from someone saying they want start a scientific winter debate has anyone stated the title of the forum being a problem to them contributing? I'm genuinely interested in how many people are avoiding the forum due to the name of it.

If it is to be renamed can it be renamed 'December Forum' as someone somewhere might be offended if it includes the word holiday and their particular sect doesn't observe holidays at this time of year?

Apologies for the cynicism but this issue perplexes me.

#12 BasketCase, Dec 8, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2010
  13. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

That didn't really make sense if you think about it.

Also, why do we have to wait for an accident to happen in order for us to fix a road ? Doesn't it make more sense to fix the road in order to prevent an accident?

I'm also not saying that people will avoid the forum because of the name. That would be ridiculous. I'm simply saying that it would be more welcoming or inclusive. That's all.

14. Jiggles

Jiggles Guest

Mountain out of a mole hill comes to mind about this...

15. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The name has been changed. If anyone finds the term "holiday" offensive (as it's a corruption of "holy day"), feel free to start another thread. :slight_smile:

Lex

16. mandarof

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    LOL that is amazing! Holiday is offensive. Great catch!