Resurrecting Threads (Suggestion)

Discussion in 'Empty Closets Help and Feedback' started by NickT, Jan 12, 2011.

1. NickT

Can we put some date limitation on posting on old threads, specifically in the news section? It'd be nice to not have stories from 3+ months ago resurface and make us think they're recent. >>

2. crystaltriforce

well it would make sense to not put a limit on the game threads, they can go a while without someone else posting in them

3. Tim

Tim

I would only see this viable in the News section honestly.

Otherwise, we'd end up with a ton of threads about the same TV show, video game, or any general topic.

4. Shevanel

We'll have to destroy the Thread Resurrection Hub if we want Thread Resurrection to stop!

5. Mogget

Thread resurrection hub? What is this?

6. theJosephDean

I frakking love you xD

7. maverick

Check the date? :lol:

I honestly don't see why there should be a limitation on news stories, sometimes the entire discussion on a broad topic gets resurrected to good effect. I sort of like talking about old stories sometimes, even if they're story du jour.

8. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't really see an issue with reviving old threads unless it's a support thread, or some other personal advice thread. (Giving advice to somebody two years after the fact rarely accomplishes much.) Yeah, many of us "old timers" have already weighed in, but it allows the newbies to make their opinions known, and let us old timers have a chance to reassess our positions. Besides, my feeling is if they don't resurrect an old thread, chances are they'd simply start a new thread with the same topic.

Lex

9. Nat3

Nat3 Guest

I agree... Check the date.
    If the thread, for whatever reason it may be, is resurrected it is of importance for a least one member of the EC community, right?

10. Hotspot

I personally find not being able to post in a thread after a certain amount of time distasteful, You have more topics about the same thing, and then they just get remade remade and remade and then ya got a gigantic amount of topics about the same thing. (this of course would have to take a few years) It also just makes clutter, what's the point in that? Really?

Another thing is that you'd have to make a new topic just to say what you wanted to say, but what if you don't have a good opening as the original topic starter? Then the topics is just going to suck.
    I'll give you an example
    Topic Starter 1: Okay in this thread we are going to talk about cars! What kind of car do you have? I love cars I can tell you all about cars! Just ask me!!
    *Topic gets old*
    Topic Starter 2: Well I really wanted to say that I love red cars!
    Mod: What kind of topic is that?!!! *Closed!*

11. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd rather the threads be remade... there's already clutter with hundreds of threads.... if a thread is back pages it's probably not very "popular" anyways or is old. It's annoying to see threads you've already read and posted on popping up... Then you have to go back and check if you posted on it or not....

12. Lebowski45

Personally I quite like reading some old threads, I sometimes find out stuff I wouldn't have known ortherwise unless someone had bumped an old thread. And there's something kinda weird about reading posts made a few years ago, but I like that. Makes you wonder about all the souls that came here and posted and no longer contribute.....people come, people go, but the site still goes on, and their posts and thoughts and advice are still passed on years after they were made, I kind of like that.

13. midwestblues

If there's a relevant new development concerning a subject, I think the thread could be bumped. For instance, it seems more practical to have one thread concerning DADT rather than several dozen of them, but w/e.