1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Feature: Thread Bans

Discussion in 'Empty Closets Help and Feedback' started by Martin, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey guys,

Just to let you know that EC now has a thread ban hack installed on the site. What does it do? Exactly what it says. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Basically, anybody who happens to be causing trouble in a thread will now be removed from the discussion by staff via the thread ban hack. If a banned member tries to post then they simply get an error message informing them of their removal from the discussion.

This isn't going to be used lightly, or as a way to silence people who may be having a bit of a heated discussion. The main idea behind this is that it allows staff to keep topics of interest open without having to constantly clear out troublesome posts that are nothing more than personal insults. I've heard lots of times about members being annoyed that a small minority ruin interesting discussions for everybody else, and hopefully this hack will offer a solution to that problem which keeps both the rule-abiding members and the staff happy. After all, it's not fair when your contributions are deleted because a small minority can't resist spanking each other.

Furthermore, this hack is also going to be used in the Hot Guy games thread to stop members from pushing the boundaries in there. The thread has been restarted numerous times because of a few people pushing the limits, and it simply wasn't possible to approve all images manually like originally planned. As a result, anybody who makes a habit of posting images that aren't PG-13 (guidelines will be clearly outlined in the thread) will have their access to that thread removed.

There aren't any reasons for this to be a concern to you all. It isn't going to be used as a way to silence those we disagree with, or who may have an opinion that doesn't conform to the majority. The only people the staff are interested in removing from discussions are those who deliberately troll, derail a thread with personal insults, or people who post material that is blatantly above EC's PG-13 rating.

Any questions?

Martin.

2. Shevanel

Re: Thread Bans

Interesting Idea :slight_smile:

3. Rosina

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Re: Thread Bans

All for it, I was wondering if there were any feature that could be used to do such a thing.

4. Idonteven

Nice, could have used such a feature on a forum I used to admin, would have saved me so many headaches and angry people shouting at me and the rest of the team.

5. ArcaneVerse

Sounds like a brilliant idea, as long as it isn't abused. I do hope the use of this feature is going to be monitored well?

and does this apply to Forum Mods? as in if they are causing shit like the normal members will they be banned too?

6. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yep! As Martin mentioned the feature is only going to be used when a member causes trouble in a thread. All incidents will be discussed among staff members before a member is being banned from a thread.

All staff members are held to a higher standard - as spelled out in the Code of Conduct. I'm pretty sure that staff members are not going to be causing shit! :wink: