1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Like or rep

Discussion in 'Empty Closets Help and Feedback' started by straal1972, Mar 16, 2011.

1. straal1972

Hi there, thanks for the awesome work you all are doing on here.

I'd like to make a suggestion....
    is it possible to add a feature to show our appreciation to particularly good posts. Such as a LIKE button or even an ADD TO REPutation button.

Many times i read some posts that are really really good either in advice or humor or whatever and I would like to publicly praise the poster, but don't want to necessarily quote them and add a comment.

Zenon

2. Witchcraft

Witchcraft Guest

OMG that WOULD BE SO AWESOME! 0_0 I always wanted to do that :0

3. ShebbsIsAwesome

4. RaRa

So Facebooky. <__<

5. TheDarkerPoet

My thoughts exactly. I don't support this idea because it sounds kinda competitive and honestly very much like Facebook. Just have your own laugh or smile at a post and move on. Or quote them if you have something to say about it.

6. Shevanel

I agree, I'd much rather a more personal compliment of a post I made or whatever than an arbitrary clicking of a button to promote my "status".

Also, a support site doesn't really need classes or social statuses.

7. alan t

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Does this not already exist? There is a "rating" button at the top of each post where you can vote 1-5 stars. I don't see it ever being used.

8. Shevanel

That's actually a thread rating thing, for the record.

9. Ridiculous

I wouldn't like it, I think it's very innappropriate for this forum.

^That's pretty much my opinion.

10. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm on a hiatus at the moment so I can't get drawn into a lengthy discussion on the pros and cons of the idea, but I will give some brief background details regarding this type of idea.

This idea has popped up numerous times on the site, and it has been shot down in flames every time because of how flawed it is in the long-term. Anybody who has ever had any long-term experience of a vBulletin forum that has its reputation system enabled will likely have seen how open to abuse it is, and it quickly escalates into various groups of people forming a rep circle and 'repping' everybody within that circle continuously in a cycle. The rep ranking then begins to resemble a popularity contest rather than a representation of who gives quality advice. Whilst the idea seems noble and rewarding, there are plenty of people who would hand out rep because they think a certain person is just awesome, and the person who had the most rep would likely just be the most awesome of them all. :wink: So yeah, that idea has repeatedly been shotdown by staff for good reason.

The idea of a post 'like' system is something I have actually considered myself, and at one point I even got input from staff on how feasible it would be and how it could work within EC's support forums. I actually had quite a bit of optimism that it could work if implemented right, but that too was vetoed for consideration due to the ways it would likely turn into a contest, and the risk of creating a hierarchical perception of who gives the best support and advice. By that I mean that member 1 shouldn't be considered superior to member 2 simply because one has more rep/likes than the other, but tis reasonably forseeable to see why that problem could occur. So yeah, whilst I was once open-minded about that idea, I do believe the right decision was made to not implement the feature, and EC has always worked best as giving each response equal merit. Granted the staff can't stop perceptions people have based on post count, member rank or other criteria, but we can minimise the ways in which popularity contests and hierarchies form.

That's the basic background behind the idea, and I can't really imagine the policy on this type of idea changing any time soon. One of the great things about EC is that people offer support and advice because they genuinely want to without expecting anything in return, and that is something that is a lot more valuable than a reputation gem or a 'like' count.

Martin.

11. TriBi

Well - the forum software has done funny things to the (partial) quote - but, nevertheless - QFT!

12. straal1972

13. kwyjibo

Another forum I'm on has a rep system, and controls the equivalent of full member upgrades and the like. It's anonymous to avoid "rep-back" but there is a problem. It seems to have taken over the forum. "Neg-repping" is a common phrase, and the mods have quite a workload sorting out misgiven positive/negative rep. So I think it could work, but it's really not a minor thing, and I think it's not worth all the hassle, given that EC works as a community as it is.

14. Gothitil

Gothitil Guest

I've seen it on many forums. Every single time it's abused because people are stupid and can't deal with the fact that other people have opinions.

I think it's a good idea, but it doesn't work. It will just create a headache for the staff.

15. dylangoelz

dylangoelz Guest

I think it would be a negative thing to add to such a site as this due to the fact that this is a support site and not a social status or connection place its a place for us who have questions about our sexual orientation come to ask them or to just feel comfortable talking to others who feel the same as we do so all in all it would probable cause more harm to add a feature like this and might even make some people shy down due to having negative feedback. I dont mean to be rude, it was a good idea but just not for this website.

16. Gothitil

Gothitil Guest

I see that there is a Like button now. Neat.

17. Corny

Corny Guest