1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EC's 2011 April Fools Overview

Discussion in 'Empty Closets Help and Feedback' started by Martin, Apr 1, 2011.

1. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wassupski peeps,

That time of the year has now passed, and it's time to do the traditional overview of all the pranks that were implemented this year! As always, the staff have been implementing a range of pranks across the site throughout the day, and it would appear that this has been the most controversial year yet. :wink:

Soooo, what went on?

1) The Staff Room
    The Chat Room had a temporary room implemented throughout the day that was password protected. It was originally going to be there just for show, but it turns out that evil plotters such as lostinthought9, TheEdend and Victor enjoyed the power that this room apparently gave them. Anybody in Chat at the time likely would have experienced an excessive amount of alerts, so feel free to lynch these three if it annoyed you. :wink: Oh, and Victor also learnt a valuable lesson when plotting to ban the EC account. In Soviet Russia EmptyClosets, EC bans you.

2) What made you feel good today?
    The staff locked a thread and decided to have a conversation amongst themselves, aided by a hack that makes it seem that the username of the member viewing the post is being discussed. Numerous members will have likely seen the extent to which staff were bitching, and Vampirekid even thought he was being targetted. I think. Who knows?

3) Username Colours
    Who do those staff think they are with their bold colour usernames and their Nazi ego? Ok, maybe the last part wasn't dealt with today, but the staff found themselves stripped of their special colouring and demoted to the Regular/Full member username coding. Regular Members also had the privilege of displaying as Advisors, who had turned Magenta colored because of Gretchen Weiners, and Full Members became the luffly blue colour. It made the Who's online? list look very rainbow colored, albeit a very cheap and lacking most colours type rainbow. See here:
    [​IMG]

4) The Forum Flip
    As tempting as it was to change the forum titles to what they were last year (Shit Chat anybody?) the forum names and descriptions got a nice flip upside down for the day, which caused various problems due to the site not liking that style of letters. It's why some forums appeared with a different name - if any of you actually risked breaking your neck to read it upside down.
    [​IMG]
    Be honest: How many of you thought it was just Russian or some other language at first glance? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    The 'reverse forum titles' forum wasn't what it appeared to be either. It was a redirect to this famous and orgasmic song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD2LRROpph0

5) User Titles
    Regular Members:
    [​IMG]
    Full Members:
    [​IMG]

What can I say? Some members are simply irregular whilst others are empty inside. Forcing you all to affiliate yourself with Rebecca Black was probably a bit too much though.

6) ZOMG! Rebecca Black!
    Who better to take off EC than Rebecca Black herself?
    [​IMG]
    Kudos to Maddy for playing the role of Rebecca throughout the day. Your shamelessness will go down in EC history for decades. :love:

Don't know who Rebecca Black is? Check her out here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD2LRROpph0 <3

7) Gretchen Weiners
    EC found itself with a New Advisor for the day:
    [​IMG]
    Accusing members of being too gay to function, reminding them of their social standing, insulting their clothes, leaking their anonymous secrets ( :eek: ), bitching about members and putting them all in her burn book. Just another day in the life of an Advisor really. She fitted in quite well!

Sadly, Ms Weiners has had to leave the forum because of her surname causing a few gay guys to froth at the mouth whenever anybody said 'Weiner'. She wasn't impressed.

8) Victor's News
    http://emptyclosets.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44644
    http://emptyclosets.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44656
    http://emptyclosets.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44621
    Victor put on his comical writing hat and developed an interesting mix of news that you'd hope members wouldn't necessarily believe. And yet some did for a few moments...

Oh those gullible LGBT news members and their gullible ways. <3

9) Security Breach - You Hacked Us!
    Last but not least, this particular prank has become the most controversial in EC's April Fools history. An announcement was posted up during April 1st claiming that a particular EC member had tried to extract information from EC's database. Which member was it? YOU!

As many of you are now aware, EC had a hack that displayed the username of the member reading a certain post/thread/announcement. It turns out that when you use that feature in the same paragraph as a 'security breach' then some people start developing extreme PPD. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Most members were able to figure out that it was an April Fools joke using forum posts or by enquiring about it, but it also wouldn't be EC April Fools without a bit of controversy, so this particular prank is now on record as being the most controversial of them all. It even somehow managed to beat the hack that banned members in 2009, but I guess everybody was just in a better mood that year. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

For your viewing pleasure here is a copy of the Announcement:
    [​IMG]

We'd like to thank everybody for getting involved today and participating in the pranks! Whilst I know that April Fools Day is not everybodys cup of tea, I was particularly impressed with how the Support Forums carried on unaffected despite the events going on around it. We are a Support Forum 24/7, but we all deserve to have a bit of fun on occasions, even if that does scare the shit out of you for a few minutes. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I also loved the fact that quite a few first timers in Chat were excited about having their first EC April Fools. :wink: I also wish to thank the staff for the time and effort they put into making the pranks work. Even if some of them did enjoy teasing you guys a bit too much. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I hope you all had a fun day! Tis good to see the majority of you appeared to have fun and enjoyed watching it all develop, and I also hope the minority who didn't enjoy the event aren't put off too much by the site. You can take comfort in knowing that EC is going to be itself for another year, but you might also want to make a note about this day in case you're here next year when the pranks start up again. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Voila!

Martin.

PS. The site is also on course to having it's most busiest day of 2011 so far! That's always fab to seeee. :grin:

PPS. It is 3am here so I apologise for the boring and crappy typing style. I'm uber tired. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2. zerogravity

I thought it was fun! I woke up super early at 5:30am for some reason and I came on here and had a good laugh :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3. TheDarkerPoet

*cries* my computer was too busy playing it's own little April Fool's joke on me and I couldn't get online to see this awesomeness.

I shall wait until next year, though. When I came on and saw Zontar's thread I laughed so much. Good job with this.

4. Gretchen Weiners

Bye guys. <3 I totally failed to make fetch happen but it's so hard to do when you're all just too gay to function!

I decided to resign when I got told I was to the right of Rebecca. I'm always on the left!

It was nice meeting some of you but none of you were cool enough to sit with me at dinner. The burn book will explain why.

Buy toaster strudle!

Gretchen. <3
    xxxx

ps. [you] is a little byotch!

5. Emberstone

And Don't You Forget It!!!

6. Beachboi92

dude i want gretchen to stay :frowning2: she loved me so much T_T

7. lostinthought9

I enjoyed this year's April Fools day, especially since I was behind the scenes of it for the first time. :slight_smile:

In his post, Martin thanked the staff, and so I feel we shouldn't forget to thank Martin for all his hard work and dedication that he put into today's pranks and activities as well! <3

8. RaRa

NOOOOOO I want my Rebecca title back. ;_;

9. Rikudo

LOL Lovely.XD

10. Adam

Love that you guys do this every year, its always fun!

11. NickT

Despite some of the drama, I think everything was phenomenal. Great job. :grin:

12. RedState

Well, from the first moment i clicked on I knew ALL ALONG that it was a prank :slight_smile:

#12 RedState, Apr 1, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2011
  13. Eric

But I wasn't even around today. :frowning2:

14. Eponine

I wonder if people noticed that my "news stories" had STFU as the universities. xD

15. Charme

Charme Guest

Dude... I missed it :tears:

#15 Charme, Apr 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2011
  16. Random Dent

Random Dent Guest

I will always love you!!!

This was my favourite internet prank...I actually fell for it.
    lovelovelove

#16 Random Dent, Apr 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2011
  17. Jay

Jay

I this she was referring to me. LAWL. DAY. MADE.

18. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So today was a little bit awesome xD

19. Emberstone

next year, I think that EC should find a way to put a WBC pie throwing game in the arcade. Now you can cream Fred Phelps right in the kisser, like we all know he loves.

20. RedState

No, no no!
    Damint Ember...I need to take you out on the town and I think we would have a good time.lord knows it would be an interesting dinner conversation! :slight_smile: