1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thread display mode - Poll

Discussion in 'Empty Closets Help and Feedback' started by Paul_UK, Apr 24, 2006.

?

See below

Poll closed Apr 27, 2006.
  1. As it is now

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. As it was previously

4 vote(s)
    57.1%
  3. Don't care

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Following the change made to the forum discussed in this thread http://emptyclosets.com/forum/showthread.php?t=495, do you prefer the forum:
    • As it is now (threaded mode enabled and a click needed to use Quick Reply)
    • As it was before (threaded mode disabled and no click needed for Quick Reply)
    • Don't care either way
    I will go with the majority in a few days (this poll closes after 3 days), and either change it back or leave it as it is.

Comments are welcome below too.

#1 Paul_UK, Apr 24, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2006
  2. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I didn't realise it would change any functionality either but as I never use the quick reply box, it doesn't really affect me.

I just figured people either hit "Quote" or the "Post Reply" button.

What's kinda annoying that I just noticed is that if you click the appropriate "Quick Reply" button to activate the Quick Reply area, it defaults to "Quote message in reply". I would support that default being switched because it's redundant: if you're clicking a button to reply to a specific message, you don't really need to quote it automatically. (You still might want to quote it to address specific sections of what was said but then you can, on that presumably-odd occasion, check the "Quote message in reply?" box.)

Anyway, didn't mean to suggest changing the functionality of the site for everyone... but I think it's nicer. It also reduces that effect that was discussed a while back of topics getting off-topic... now one topic can kinda branch in multiple ways. Threaded discussions are really vastly superior if you want to have an in-depth conversation--and those are the kind I really like and find most useful.

3. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

That would be needed if people are displaying the forum in flat mode, which I would imagine most people will do as it's the default. Otherwise when someone replies to a post, the reply will appear at the bottom (as flat mode displays in date/time order) and nobody would know what they were replying to. The issue is trying to make the postings make sense whether people are using flat or threaded display.

If threaded mode is enabled and the Quick Reply works as before, most people would reply without clicking the post to reply to and there would be very little threaded structure.

Since ### manages fine without threaded mode, and is much busier than EC, I support putting things back as they were.

4. TriBi

I occasionally use the "Quick Reply" - but more often will click on "Reply" (correct me if I'm wrong - but smilies don't appear to work in "Quick Reply" mode).

I'm afraid I'm also pretty "low tech". I did try looking at the "threaded" and "hybrid" modes on a VBulletin forum elsewhere - and just found them confusing and annoying. I just fiddled around again - and have no desire to use them.

Sorry, but I am happy with the standard settings as they were.

5. Micah

:grin:

^ if that works smiles work in quick reply :slight_smile:

6. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Smilies work in Quick Reply if you know what character combinations to type. It's easier in the normal reply though 'cos you just click them!

7. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Thanks for the votes. The settings are back as they were previously.