1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

User titles

Discussion in 'Empty Closets Help and Feedback' started by Paul_UK, Apr 29, 2006.

1. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

User titles are the phrases shown below your name in the forum. The title depends on how many messages you have posted. Currently there are just three titles:

Junior Member - 0 to 29 posts
    Member - 30 to 499 posts
    Senior Member - 500 or more posts

I'm sure some of you can come up with something more imaginative. My only thought is that it would probably be good to have something that doesn't imply age (junior, senior etc) as this could cause confusion.

There is no limit on how many different user titles we have, but probably around 5-8 would be reasonable.

We can set the post thresholds to whatever we like too. On another forum I run we have thresholds at 1, 10, 25, 50, 100, 500, 1000 and 2000.

Over to you! Post your thoughts here, and let's see what we come up with!

2. chrisg

Can we post custom titles?

3. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

That is an option, yes. What many forums do is allow custom titles when you get above a certain number of posts. For here probably 100 would be a good threshold.

There would still need to be a default for those who have not set custom ones though.

4. Proud1p4

Proud1p4 Guest

Well i know that this also reflects our personal "out" status which could be entirely inncorrect, which may need to be explained to members when they first join...but it does reflect the central theme of the forum, how about the steps of coming out as explained @ http://emptyclosets.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7. That

0-29: Closeted
    30-99: LGBT
    100-149: Supported
    150-199: Pride
    200-249: Loved
    250-299: Accepted
    300-349: Life
    350+: Custom Names

PS: If this one is too confusing, PM me or something....i got loads other ideas.

5. chrisg

That's an awful lot of titles :wink:. The only problem is that they imply some sort of status--"closeted," etc.

6. Micah

The problem with that is that someone new to the forum isn't necessarily closeted, or even gay for that matter. What if a straight person came to the site looking for advice on their gay friend and posted 30 times? Would kind of give the wrong idea :wink:

7. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Yes, I don't like the idea of a title that suggests a person's gay outness. Like the ones that suggest age, it can cause confusion.

Thanks for the suggestion though. :slight_smile:

8. Proud1p4

Proud1p4 Guest

Yeah, i thought that was a bad idea too, but no harm in trying...well just give me another day or so and ill come up with a better one haha. But i do think that 350+ is when the custom names kick in, or 300 at the mimimuim, 100 for custom names is kinda low...way to low.

9. chrisg

I don't think 100 is too low for custom names. Plus, not everyone takes advantage of that feature, so some hierarchy would still be in place. How about this:

0-9 New Member
    10-49 Getting Feet Wet
    50-74 Making a Name
    75-99 Well-Known
    100+ Established

(100+ is also custom titles)

10. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Yes, that's the sort of scale we want I think - something that clearly indicates forum status rather than anything else.

How about 250 for custom titles?

11. lost

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yeah, that sounds good. It is neutral and shouldn't add any confusion

12. Proud1p4

Proud1p4 Guest

First of all, capital idea chrisg....thnx for showing me up :tongue: ...haha, kidding...and Paul i think 250 sounds alot better than 100 posts... its only taken me a few weeks or so to get in the 80....so IMHO, i dont think someone who gets 100 posts is high enough in the rankings to get a custom name....like i find a trend of other threads is that the custom name is kind of a treat or reward of some sort for being a loyal, contributing member of the forum...so i think that if you are going to offer custom names...they be as high as possible (not like in the 1000's now, or even the 500's...more like the 300's) so 250 sounds MUCH better than 100. But as ive said before, its just the opinion of one...and i mean no offense to anyone when i say 'loyal, contributing member' etc. :smile: Sorry if i come off a little mean in this post....blessed be!

13. nisomer

Youngling
    Padawan
    Jedi Knight
    Jedi Master
    Jedi Council Member

:slight_smile::slight_smile:

14. Proud1p4

Proud1p4 Guest

Nice try nk1114, im sure Paul will consider it....seriously. haha loves you anyway (&&&) :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

15. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

What we'll probably do is get a few alternatives during this week then I'll set up a poll next weekend so we can vote for our favourites. So please keep posting your ideas, everyone!

16. Proud1p4

Proud1p4 Guest

Excellent idea, you heard the man....GET YOUR IDEAS IN...no matter how silly or unusual....we'll be the judge. (but a merciful one, lol, we wont diss your ideas so relax, if yours dont get chosen, dont feel bad :slight_smile:)

17. tired_of_lying411

some people are really nervous and like to "lurk" it would be bad to push people to post if they dont feel comfortable... i think custom titles are cool, and not really something that should have to be earned... people can be extremely vaulable to a form without posting 300 times... it only takes a sentence to make someone feel good, provoke them to find the courage to come out, or even prevent suicide.

just my thoughts

18. Micah

True, but it also encourages people to post regularly and stick around.

19. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

It's just a bit of fun anyway. I don't think anyone is going to get hung up on what their title is, as long as they are all pleasant and positive.

20. Proud1p4

Proud1p4 Guest

Very good point, i stand corrected...but you can't deny that when we're talking posts, contribution is in numbers. Anyway, like Paul said it's all just for a bit of fun :slight_smile:. All is well, we will just have to wait and see the poll results next week and see what one of the choices are chosen....speaking of which, we only have 3 suggestions (2 really, my idea was pretty gutterline, and im not afraid to admit it lol)...so anyone who feels compelled, make sure to get in your ideas or they cant be chosen. Blessed be!