1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do we need a 10 second delay for searches?

Discussion in 'Empty Closets Help and Feedback' started by Austin, Sep 28, 2011.

1. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    These types of things really irritate me, idk why. Just cus it seems like data is so cheap these days, what's the point of delaying it 10 seconds?

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    EC is a totally free resource that generates zero income for anyone. Our site is hosted on a server that has many other sites on it, and the hosting of EC's site is donated to the EC community by the company that originally set up EC. One of the very minimal limitations they have to deal with is managing CPU resources. (It's CPU resources, not data transfer, that is gobbled up by search functions.) So the very minimal 10 second time between searches helps to ensure that EC is a "good neighbor" to the other sites we share our server with.

Just FYI, the overwhelming majority of vBulletin sites with our volume of traffic have delays of 30 to 60, and sometimes 90 or 120 seconds, between searches, so 10 seconds is pretty much nothing in comparison.

3. Hemera

Yeah I've been on sites that do that, and really I don't mind it. I get the rule and the reasons behind it. It's not really all that bad

4. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh okay, I didn't realized it used much CPU or w/e.

5. Mad Man L

I can testify to that. I have been a member on a different vBulletin forum, and you have to wait 60 seconds between searches. It's annoying. :bang: But with so much traffic, you need to do something to avoid the server crashing.

6. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I can confirm from another forum I run that searches with vBulletin do hit the CPU quite hard. It causes a lot of database activity on large forums, even when the database tables are indexed. It'll be interesting to see whether the new vBulletin is any better in that regard when the site is updated in due course.

7. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If anything, vB4 is worse, based on my experience with one of the other forums I manage. They've cleaned it up a bit from the original 4.0 release (which was slow as molasses) to 4.1.x (whatever the current release is) but it is still a bigger resource hog than 3.x.

8. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, I'm a member on a much larger site, and they just don't have any search AT ALL!

One handy trick is that google sometimes works well enough as a substitute.
    Use the term: "site:emptyclosets.com" in addition to what you're looking for. Doesn't work on the really recent threads, but google is usually pretty good at indexing sites.

9. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Actually, that's a great idea. Our optimization software submits an updated sitemap to Google with all current threads once a day, and Google seems to be crawling several times a day, so its search results may be pretty close to current.

10. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

That's what I use when I need to look for a thread that I remember for a specific line or something like that. Truth is that I only use the on-site search function when I need the utilities it provides, like searching by section or by poster. Any other time, I've always found using Google with a site specification to be superior.

11. starfish

It is just not the CPU, it is the disk storage also. Running a query against a large database can drive a lot of I/O. High performance storage is very expensive. Especially when you need lots of it. If you can limit the I/O you can use slower high capacity disks and save a lot of money.