1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did EC disappear briefly?

Discussion in 'Empty Closets Help and Feedback' started by Paul_UK, Dec 8, 2007.

1. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I couldn't get here for the last 10 minutes or so. Was it just me or did something go wrong briefly?

2. EthanS

EthanS Guest

yes happened to me jus then happened to everyone probly hardly ne1a on

3. Ty

Ty Guest

Happened to me too, but i put it down to my ISP =/
    Good to see I wasn't alone.

4. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Thanks both. I've put in a support ticket to see if I can find out what happened.

5. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Something has gone wrong on the front page here http://www.emptyclosets.com/

I've removed the list of who is in the chatroom for now as that was broken and stopping the rest of the page loading. Some of the fonts have got messed up too.

6. Taaz

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I thought it was just me. Thought drat that's another thing I've broke.

7. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Everything should be back to normal now. The databases got corrupted. I have just run the repair command on them from phpMyAdmin and everything is good again.

I think the chatroom may have been unavailable for the last 40 minutes or so (I couldn't get into it and those tables were the most damaged).

Because of the corruption I think the server crashed and restarted rather than becoming unavailable due to a network problem. When I find out why it crashed I'll let you know! Hopefully it wasn't due to any of today's changes....

Post here if anything is not working properly now, please.

8. SpikySpice

My friend said his computer couldnt find EC, couldnt log on so he had to drive to another place to be able to log on, whie it was fine for me. Is it depending on where you lve right, like thr connection, or thr web, or could be anything else at thattime besides the network system crashing down right?

Well, I hope thinsg be ok

9. CrimsonThunder

Geez thats weird. Run a virus/hacker check on ur server Paul because I've never heard of thats shit happening before.

At first, it sounded like it was just your server was down, but all that stuff happening? Somethings wrong.

10. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

It appears that the server did crash, though nobody knows why. There is no reason obvious from the logs and the console was also unresponsive so they couldn't check there. So they just rebooted it.

The problems after it restarted were due to errors in the MySQL databases, which were corruption due to the crash (affecting tables and indexes that were being written to at that precise moment). Running the REPAIR MySQL command through phpMyAdmin fixed that and all was good again.

It was mainly the chatroom database tables that were corrupted. Because the chatroom status is shown on the front page, the failure of that bit of PHP caused the front page to stop loading at that point, hence the general messed up layout.

JD and Seth (who own the site) have had their techies run various checks overnight and nothing amiss was found. The reason for the abrupt crash is still unknown however. We are all keeping an eye on things.

There are only two other sites on the server, both of which are very light load (one is JUBsupport and the other is a private thing for ### clients) so we have almost the whole server just for EC! :slight_smile:

11. Steam Giant

In the words of the trainer at my current job):

^^

Of course that's not true, there's a reason behind everything that happens. That quote just came to mind when I read this ^^

12. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

If the server ran Windows Server I could believe it was just having a funny turn. But it's running Debian Linux so should be stable. Something pushed it, we just don't know what.....

13. CrimsonThunder

I hope its not a hacker. *hugs EC*

14. Urman

Urman Guest

could it have been a ddos attack

15. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

We'd have expected something to show up in the server logs though, or in the traffic logs in the upstream router. There's nothing....