1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mobile access?

Discussion in 'Empty Closets Help and Feedback' started by Paul_UK, Dec 13, 2007.

1. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Would having a greatly simplified theme here so that the forum can be accessed more easily from a mobile phone etc be useful?

I found this theme http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=151186 which does just that. To see what it looks like, go to http://mobility.mobi from your phone (note if you do it from a PC it looks like a normal vBulletin site). It works OK with my Sony Ericsson K750i which has somewhat limited browsing facilities.

2. Ty

Ty Guest

Yeah, It would make loading times much quicker because sometimes i like to check on posts here from my phone while at school or elsewhere and loading times can be annoying.

I think its a good idea.

3. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

If the general verdict is that it will be useful, and from trying that link you find it works OK on your devices, I will try to install it on Sunday.

I think it could be useful to have it in place before the holiday period, when some of you may be away from the computer but still want or need EC.

It won't apply to the chatroom though, just the forum.

4. Ty

Ty Guest

So, what will happen then paul? Will EC here on my computer look like that link you provided ? Or will it only apply when you are logging on from a mobile device?

5. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

With that sample link I provided, if you log in from a computer it looks very much like EC does now (it's a standard vBulletin forum). However if you log in from a mobile it detects that you are using a mobile device and switches to that mobile theme automatically. Try accessing that site from your computer and from your mobile and you're see what I mean. That's how I want it to work here too.

6. Ty

Ty Guest

So would we put "emptyclosets.mobi" or just normal emptyclosets.com. This will be good, no more waiting for 45secs for the page to load with damn EDGE =]

7. Urman

Urman Guest

you can do wap.emptyclosets.com

8. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

It would be emptyclosets.com/forum - the same as from a PC or whatever.

Have you tried that sample link on your phone and does it work OK?

9. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I would have to get the techies to add the subdomain though, and it can sometimes take a while to get things like that done. I have full access to this site on the server, but not to the server configuration.

If the automatic detection doesn't work then I may make it so you go to emptyclosets.com/wap and this redirects to the forum with the right theme.

Let's see how some other people get on with that sample site I linked to from their mobile devices first though. There's no point in doing it if it doesn't work very well.

10. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Users with compatible phones can get Opera Mini from www.operamini.com. That's what I did. My provider (Telefonica Uruguay) provides me with 113k speed, so it runs reasonably fast. In my opinion it's a good browser. Haven't tried yet the chat room, lol...

However, keeping data transfer low would be useful for some users (for example me - Telefonica charges me per KB)

#10 Miaplacidus, Dec 13, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2007
  11. Urman

Urman Guest

i get charged per minute so i took that feature off

12. Kimi

I checked the link but it didn't work. I mean, I can still go to the page but it wasn't simpler one but the same page as on computer.

Hmm, maybe it's not for Japanese phone??:dry:

13. JSG

JSG Guest

That is a great idea Paul.

14. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know how anyone can stand using their phone for anything but reading the very simplest/shortest things... I know I wouldn't use my phone to access this forum. But if it doesn't affect people on real computers, I have no problem with it.

15. Louise

I won't bother adding my grumpy bah humbug attitude about téléphones, I'm just going to go cold turkey over Christmas and see you all in the New year. This is all too sophisticated for my prehistoric brain! :lol:

Hey Ty, arn't you meant to be learning things at school instead of visiting EC :eusa_naug :eusa_naug :eusa_naug

Only kidding :kiss:

16. Ty

Ty Guest

Oh Louise, your such a mum =p Im only just checking to see how you all are :wink: And ofcourse, there only R.E lessons =]

17. EthanS

EthanS Guest

Yer i ttried to go on my mobile the page was all muddled up and i cant log in or nething, but i went on one thread thats all.. but my phones crappy neway ^_^

18. 24601

I don't see what difference it would make, since that other site looks the same to me. If it makes things easier, by all means do it. I don't ever go on here on my cell.

19. Urman

Urman Guest

lol your the best :roflmao::roflmao: