1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Closing threads too often.

Discussion in 'Empty Closets Help and Feedback' started by Austin, Dec 23, 2011.

1. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have noticed that, in some cases, threads have been closed due to arguments between only a few members. I am not sure what consequences those committing the personal attacks receive. Assuming that they receive only a slap on the wrist or no punishment at all (as it appears to the "bystanders," this seems like an easy way to manipulate the moderators into closing a perfectly fine thread. As a result, nobody else can comment on the topic and the discussion is prematurely ended. I do not understand why a few members are allowed to get out of hand, and the "consequence" is closing the thread. The thread should not be closed, those causing the problems should be given some sort of punishment and their posts deleted or something. This is how I feel, at least, and I think discussions about particular topics should not be ended due to one or two people.

Also in many cases I have noticed that moderators will threaten to close threads because a few people are getting out of hand. Again, I believe there may be better ways to deal with these problems rather than completely closing the topic (to those who may want to discuss it civilly).

Thanks for your time.
    Austin (=

2. No One

I agree that closing the threads may not be the best way to react to the situation, but in many cases it is really the only option.

In most threads that are close because of argument that gets out of control, the people arguing are really the only ones replying to the thread, and thus there really isnt much point in "saving" the thread for future debate. This isnt always the case, but in my experience it is very often.

3. Tim

Tim

If you recall, unless I'm mistaken, one of the features they're working on (or was it just they were thinking about it? o_o Been a while, xD) is the ability to ban a member from a specific thread.

It was mentioned a while back, but I can't seem to find that thread anymore. For all I know, that changed and was found to be too difficult or something. But just thought I'd mention it.

It was brought up specifically because of threads like the Hot Guy/Girl threads, and their constant deletions/etc. because a few members would consistently break the rules.

If anything, I'd like to know if this feature is still planned.

4. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think you may be able to get the point across by suspending their account for a few hours or a day? If the same members cause problems constantly... instead of having to constantly delete their posts why not actually punish them? If they really cannot follow the rules they are probably not fit to participate in this forum (though they are people and may need help and I know EC wants to help, so dunno about banning?). Of course this would be an extreme measure.

We may never know if people actually want to discuss a topic further once it is closed, since obviously nobody can further reply. And because the topic has been locked, it may seem "defiant" to open a new topic to continue the discussion. So essentially the topic is now off limits. Also, when two people or three people or whatever are arguing on a thread, they are pretty much dominating the entire conversation, and people may not want to give their input because the thread has already diverged from the main point anyway. This may be the cause for the lack of other people replying. Delete the posts from those arguing (offensively) and punish those who are causing the problems.

Banning people from specific threads is a good idea. I figured this would have already been implemented, had it been possible, so I pretty much assume it isn't possible. =/

It feels wrong that a couple people can ruin a topic and basically censor it out for the rest of the members. )=

5. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I totally agree that threads shouldn't be locked when it can be helped, and it's for the exact reasons you have pointed out. It is unfair that a few people can ruin an entire thread for everybody else.

Although, one of the things I would also point out that the process of closing a thread isn't a simple thought process. We do have thread bans on standby, which we can use, but we also need to take into account how a thread can progress beyond the troublesome discussion. In some cases that is possible, but in quite a few cases on EC we also get threads that don't really go anywhere. For example, political threads tend to get people deriding each others opinions on the basis that they perceive each other to be on opposing sides of the political spectrum, and it becomes difficult for a discussion to progress very far when those who seem glued to these types of topic can't even muster up a bit of respect. Instead we get people disregarding what other people have said simply because they disagree with the ideology, and it all turns into a series of ad hominems.

Now it is a fair point to argue that the thread should still be left open for those who still want to contribute to the discussion, but the reason we tend to lock them is because the discussions don't often have an audience beyond the frequent people who require the staff to intervene. You get members who occasionally will respond to the first post and perhaps even a follow-up, but we often don't perceive there being enough demand to warrant keeping a thread open and dealing with the troublesome members in another way. Infact, troublesome threads have, based on my observations, had the opposite effect by pushing members away from certain areas of the site. I've lost count the amount of times I have seen people complaining about how LGBT news is more of a reactionary forum because of certain members, so the problem itself likely goes beyond simply having a more 'liberal' policy on closing threads.

One of the things I would say is that I don't necessarily think we do close threads that often. I've just had a look at the staff logs for the month of December, and a quick glance indicated there were only about 4 threads that got locked, and two of them were because the OP wanted it closed, so our frequency for closing threads is rather loose compared to some other forums. However, that doesn't detract away from everything that has been said, and I think the comments here have totally given the staff something to think about when developing more appropriate ways to tackle troublesome threads, members and posts.

By the way, the rationale for issuing 'warnings' in threads is to offer chances to members before further action is taken. We like to assume that members will respond positively if we try and point them in the right direction, and that type of policy is more user-friendly than simply issuing a thread ban or forum ban. We could 'warn' them privately, but you then have the risk of other members reacting to the behaviour of members who have previously been warned, so it can be more efficient to simply remind members and prompt them to keep the thread on topic and civil. The thread ban hack is still there and probably isn't used as much as it could be, but we also have to be careful that we don't jump to the other side of this and become far too trigger-happy with restricting members access to topics without any sort of chance/warning.

As an organisation we'll soon be embarking on an overhaul on site policy so that everything is more formal and maintainable when moderating the site. At the moment we tend to moderate troublesome threads on a case-by-case basis, but there will be an opportunity for staff to develop a clearer and consistent policy for dealing with these types of issues, and the posts on this thread can play an important part in shaping that process as it gives us the best indication on the direction that members would like us to head in.

But yeah, if peeps have anything they'd like to add then I'm all ears. It's vital that the staff maintains a close relationship with members on issues like this so that the supportive vibe of the community doesn't become jeaporadised. It would be unrealistic to expect members to feel comfortable here without allowing them to have a voice on how site moderation should work, so for that reason members should always feel able to offer their thoughts on anything they think can be improved.

Martin.

6. J Snow

I would lol so hard if Martin had just locked this thread without responding =P

7. Fairybread

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    *commends Martin on his long, detailed post, which filled up the screen on my iPod, twice*

8. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's always hard to strike a good balance between maintaining discussion and cutting off inappropriate attacks. That being said, it sounds like the current policy/procedure/practice leans towards locking threads as an easy and convenient way to end negative and unproductive comments. This makes sense, I guess, given the effort required to manage such a large and active site.

However, if you get right down to it, that's treating the symptom, not the problem. The symptom is inappropriate/negative/accusatory/ad hominem posts but the problem really is the people who make those posts, which from what Martin says is often the same group of people who are known to the staff.

I agree with Austin's sentiment that discussions should be allowed to continue until they die a "natural" death; as he indicates, you can't really know if a discussion would continue to be fruitful if it gets locked once it's hijacked by inappropriate posting. It sounds like maybe the staff err on the side of locking threads that "appear" to be going nowhere. This strikes me as creating a lot more work for the staff than is necessary and possibly ultimately having a negative impact on discussion overall.

Maybe something like a "X thread bans and you're out (banned) [for Y days/weeks/months]" policy should be adopted for problematic posting. Like, you warn participants in the thread where things have gotten heated, then you privately warn any members who continue "down the wrong path" in the thread, and then you ban those specific members from the thread. Once that's done, either the thread will regain its "health" or it'll die a "natural" death--no thread locking required. Plus one assumes you've sent a strong message not just to the members banned from the thread but also to anyone who is reading that thread.

Anyway, just some thoughts...

9. sanguine

meh i think its a good idea closing the thread overall, banning a single poster from said thread just causes animosity, angst and resentment between members, and sniping in future threads, sort of like knowing an enemy then going against them every time you get the chance.

besides it takes two to tango and a heck of alot to party, its not just one persons fault its also the recipient and the supporters on both sides.

10. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We do actually ban specific users from a given thread on some occasions, and on very rare occasions, staff will ban a user from the entire site for some period (usually a few weeks) where the user is constantly argumentative in numerous threads to such an extent that it disrupts the overall tone of conversation in the community.

It tends to be the same dozen or so people who will always jump into the same arguments (or take a thread totally off topic to engage in an argument) and, for the most part, all of those posters are helpful contributors to the community except when a given topic comes up. So we try to balance the desire to not stifle discussion and discourse with the need to keep the tone of the community such that no one feels threatened or intimidated to post their opinions.

Finally, most people at EC "get it," but one of the issues that we look at most in banning someone from a thread or closing a thread is when the posts go from debating a topic to personally insulting or attacking a member posting in the thread. When people start personally attacking and getting off of whatever the topic is, that's the circumstance where we're most likely to intervene. And, honestly, with the current group of members, it's pretty rare that we have any serious problems in that regard because most people do seem pretty respectful, particularly for an Internet-based community. :slight_smile:

11. RedState

I've been banned from a thread before...I kinda consider it a badge of honor :slight_smile:

But yeah, i can understand that it is a difficult balance..especially in heated discussions. I think, for the most part, the staff does a pretty good job regulating these type threads.

12. Emberstone

If you want, RedState and I can spar for a bit for good measure, and we can see if he will do it.

RedState, Ronald Reagan blah blah blah, death penality blah blah blah blah, affirmative action blah blah, Ann Coulter's adams apple!

*runs and hides from the ban hammer*.

But in all honesty, closing a thread probably sends a clearer message than banning a person from the thread. I had no idea that they had that function, so it isnt much of a deterent if only the moderators and the banned person know.