1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anonymous Posting Question

Discussion in 'Empty Closets Help and Feedback' started by Time, Dec 26, 2007.

1. Time

I've seen a lot of double posts from people who forget to uncheck the anonymous posting box saying basically "^ that was me btw". To make it less messy, wouldn't it be easier for people to PM a mod and have them make it not anonymous? This might not even be possible. Just a thought...

2. AzThRg0

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    i suppose so but the other method seems quicker, can the mods do that though? if so it seems helpful

3. xxAngelOnFirexx

i don't think they can. and they have more important things to do than clean up that stuff.

4. Kimi

I think they can but it will be too much work...like go to mods area log in to anonymous account and copy the post and delete anonymous post then log out and then log in to the person's account who posted it anonymous mistakenly then paste the original post and finally post it.

Or could be worse.

And the thing is too many people does that(Yes, I know that I'm the person who does it all the time) If it's only one wrong post per day it wouldn't be too much work but it won't bother you much in the first place. But since there are quite few, I don't think mods can handle it.

Or they can make "Anonymous Moderater".....nah, I doubt it...

5. Micah

As you've no doubt noticed, when "Anonymous" posts, it adds to the "post count". It's my understanding that this is because when someone chooses to make their post anonymous, the post is automatically posted by the user "anonymous" rather than the person.

Because of this, we cannot simply click a button and have the post reverted to back to the normal person (as far as I know, paul will correct me if I'm wrong).

6. CrimsonThunder

You cant, having the anonymous button clicked its basically you being logged in as the Anonymous poster.

7. Micah

Better explained than me! haha.

8. CrimsonThunder

*puts on glasses*

gloyvenglaven

9. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

What we can do is copy the text from the anonymous post to the named post below (having checked they were posted from the same IP address) then delete the anonymous one. But I don't think it is generally worth the bother.

If there isn't a post by the named person immediately below then it would be a database hack to associate the post with a different person. I tried that once and found it needed changing in about four different places and was a lot of hassle, so I'm not doing that again.

I think the cause of the problem is that if you use the preview function before posting the anonymous box becomes ticked again even if you unticked it. I will try to find a way of it remembering but I don't think that would be easy.

It is safer defaulting to Anonymous rather than defaulting to named as it did originally.

10. Psychedelic Bookmarks

maybe people could not always bother with the "that was me" second post, unless there was some reason they wanted to reveal themselves. because as they say, it can clog the thread up.

11. Time

^ I thought about that too. Do we absolutely have to know who it was? I can understand in some cases how it might be necessary, but not all the time.

Sorry if this comes across as stupid. I'm really obsessive compulsive and things like this bother me.

12. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

If you do need your message to appear as you and not as anonymous it would be easier for us (the mods) if you just post exactly the same thing again in your own name. So there would be two identical posts, the anonymous one then your one. Then all we have to do is delete the duplicate anonymous post to tidy up the thread.

You could probably do this by clicking the browser BACK button. Hopefully your message will still be there so just untick the box and send it again.