1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Religion Forum

Discussion in 'Empty Closets Help and Feedback' started by Fintan, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Fintan

We need a Religion Forum where people can ask questions and get answers. It seems posts regarding religion & homosexuality appear at random in a number of rooms.. when many threads are exactly the same...

2. BudderMC

I dunno, but when you take out all the "repeat" threads, I feel like there might not be enough threads to really justify a whole subforum for it :/

3. I think this would be a good idea, as I myself have questions and it would be nice to have one place to go to find answers.

4. Colton

This. And there's bound to be loads of arguments popping up everywhere throughout that forum. But, it is something important to talk about, and I do somewhat agree with creating one.

5. kellymporta

I think that is a good idea since most people have some religion beliefs and for most, those religion beliefs clash with one's sexual orientation. I think that for many people accepting that they are not straight is tough because of their religious beliefs or their family's religious beliefs (that's why there are several gay to straight camps around america).

6. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The problem is that religion and politics are two things that, in the history of the world, people always disagree on. In another forum that I moderate, about 90% of the arguments and moderation interventions happened in the threads about religion.

I don't know how the rest of the staff feels, but my own sense is that we've got plenty of discussion already happening on topics of religion and resolving conflicts between religious belief and sexual orientation, and I'm not sure that a new forum would necessarily add anything.

7. Chickzak

I understand your point of view Chip, but I think with a place completely dedicated to religious topics, users can also provide links and recommendations for places to read further into; it doesnt have to be just thread based. :slight_smile:

8. kellymporta

Is the other forum lgbt related? I think that most of us here have learned to become more tolerant because we already know how intolerance towards lgbt people feels like. Also, although I have only been in EC for just a few months, it seems most people here are very respectful.

9. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There's a difference between respecting people and respecting the faith they belong to. I can respect people for who they are, but i cannot respect most religions because i simply find their dogma and modes of operation harmful, regressive and abhorrent. However, people are sensitive about their religions, and any criticism of a religion someone identifies with is liable to be taken as a criticism leveled at that that person directly. It's a touchy issue. If you make a whole forum dedicated to religion then people (like me) will inevitably criticise this religion or that and start a fight.

10. Eww

Eww Guest

The addition of such a forum is an excellent idea and I ask myself why there isn't one already! Only one admonition: it will bring out the worst in some and you'll see fighting like never before if you do start such a section.

11. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ... I do not speak for the EC staff on this issue; it hasn't been discussed in detail, but personally, that's exactly why I think it would not be such a great idea.

I can almost guarantee that if we do create such a forum, that it will quickly become the place where 75% of the moderator activities will have to be focused... and so we'd require a lot more staff, and a lot more energy, to try to keep it civil. Nonetheless, it's something the staff can certainly discuss and consider as we get closer to completing the conversion to the new software.

12. Ben

Ben

I understand that when EC is upgraded, we'll be discussing the forums and such. Although I don't think that religion is likely to get its own section, it's very possible that the forum descriptions could incorporate religious discussions into them.

One of the major difficulties is that the religion threads often do belong in different places. Religion in general is a pretty huge thing, so it fits into support and advice when it affects members on a personal level, it fits into LGBT news when it's explicitly about current religious-esque news things, and it fits into chit chat when it's just… chit chat.
    As we know, religion often goes a lot deeper than just religion, and if we move all things with a religious hint into a section on their own, then I think there might be a bit of a danger of segregation. There are lots of people who are having a very tough time because of their religious surroundings, and I wouldn't want them to take one look at flame wars going on in the religious forum and leave when they could be getting some valuable support from the site. It's this that'd make moderation very difficult—we want EC to be a safe place where people can talk about whatever they want, but a religion forum runs the risk of being full of arguments, difficult to moderate, and generally a very dark and heavy entity on the boards.

13. Charni

Charni Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Here is a simple recipie. Religion + many different people with different views = FLAME WARS!

14. Jonathan

This ^

If a religious forum was made I see someone, like myself, making a criticism of some religious or spiritual view and ending up getting into an argument about it. Overall, I think it would just turn into a big mess with different people fighting with one another. Therefore, I do not think it is really justifiable to make a religion forum.

15. dano22

dano22 Guest

I think a religious forum would be great idea but it would get out of hand with the diverse group of people we have on here.

16. sanguine

dont create one, an easy disaster avoided.

i also dont see the point if you are just going to close the thread anyways when members get out of hand

i dont even like seeing these threads anyways and to make a permanent one is like 'are you freakn kiddin me'

there is a blog option you know people, go make one and get people to comment on it, by far this blog thing on here is under rated, people write some good stuff you know?

17. Fintan

I can see all points. I grew up in a rather accepting mainstream Christian environment and then was pretty shocked to find so many militant anti-religious people in the LGBT community. I guess I've had a bit of the reverse experience than most others. But I have often found it more difficult to find acceptance in the LGBT community for being Christian -than- being gay in the mainstream church.

Either way, I work in politics. I love debate. Don't get me wrong. But I do think in the case of EmptyClosets -- many people come to these boards for help coming-out and many of them tend to have 'issues' with how to reconcile their homosexuality with their religious beliefs.

For most of these kids, they are here trying to find a way to be ok with their sexuality and to learn how they approach telling others.

What they aren't looking for is someone to tell them: "you're Gay accept it, and you should probably drop your religious beliefs because they are wrong and here's why."

But instead, many are looking for help. They are looking for someone to say; "You are who you are and you can believe what ever you want and don't let others tell you otherwise. Not even me. If you're Christian, there are Christian gays here to talk to; if your muslim, here are some muslim gays etc."

Its easy to see that religion is a major factor for many coming out -- you see it in almost every board on EC. Its just not always dealt with in a positive manner, unfortunately.

For those of little or not religious belief this may be harder to understand -- but to those whose beliefs are central to their lives -- its a pretty crucial issue.

#17 Fintan, Apr 13, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  18. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    so you don't think it's possible that people in such difficult positions would ever seek support in leaving their church behind, or abandoning their faith all together? I had help when i left christianity as a young man, i was grateful then and i am grateful now.

19. dano22

dano22 Guest

Thank you for saying what I been trying to say all along about this issue.

20. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    positive according to.... ?

If someone wants to reconcile their faith with their sexuality, more power to them. But that's not everyone. Some people try to change their sexuality to fit their faith: obviously, that doesn't work. Some people reconcile them successfully and live contentedly. Still others find happiness and contentment after leaving their church or even their belief in god behind. I don't think it is reasonable to assume that encouragement to leave one's faith is going to be unwelcome in 100% of cases.

The support and advice forum caters to all types regardless. It has an express purpose which everyone respects and understands. Anyone seeking aid or support can find it there, and everyone knows it is not a place for animated debate or confrontation. It's all in the title.

#20 Pseudojim, Apr 13, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2012