1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Signature size

Discussion in 'Empty Closets Help and Feedback' started by BudderMC, May 2, 2012.

1. BudderMC

Pretty self-explanatory: is there any way we could get a bigger size/space limitation for signatures (particularly uploaded pictures)? I don't know if anyone else feels the same way, but I found it a little annoying since you also can't link pictures in your signature (so I couldn't just upload it to a photo site or something instead).

I'm sure the external linking is to prevent sharing info or something, but I'm not sure if there's a reason for the size/space limitations.

And I'm pitching this now since if the forum is going under upgrades soon, what's a better time? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Thanks!

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's something the staff can discuss, but I can think offhand of a couple of potential issues:

1. Larger sig spaces make for fewer posts and more distracting info per page, basically increasing the signal-to-noise ratio of the forums.

2. Allowing pics in sigs would create yet another place for EC staff to have to monitor to ensure compliance with our security policy.

I'm not saying no (in part because, like all such decisions, the staff as a whole consider and decide on such things) but those are the immediate issues that come to mind. Nonetheless, it's something we should at least think about.

3. BudderMC

Thanks for replying Chip.

I personally wasn't hoping for a lot more, maybe another 50-100 pixels. It's just compared to other forums I've been on, 100x500 feels limiting... but that's all relative, so I could very well be the only one of this opinion. I'm also fine without having pics in sigs; I figured the rule was in place for a good reason.

As a remedy for someone with a massive signature, could the staff just send the person a PM asking it to be changed, and if that fails, manually remove it (with a notice left in place)? Again, I've seen that on another forum I frequented and it seemed to work, though it may not here.

Otherwise, a thought I just came across now: while I get that the info should be predominant in the forum (particularly a support forum like EC), the signature spaces and avatars are really the only splash of colour on the otherwise institutional-looking backdrop. I'm not saying it needs to be eye-burning April Fool's purple or anything (I actually think the layout is fitting), but I think those spaces help liven things up a little.

Just throwing in a couple of suggestions/viewpoints that maybe someone didn't think of. Regardless though, thanks again!