1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Saying your real first name in forums?

Discussion in 'Empty Closets Help and Feedback' started by Maxis, May 3, 2012.

1. Maxis

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've noticed that a lot of people don't say their first name or their friends first names, say, when telling a coming out story. Is it because this is actually against the rules, or is it simply a privacy/anonymous issue?

At first I thought it was just against the rules, so I've been saying initials for all this time, but I double-checked the rules and I can't seem to find it...

I know it's fine to say your name in the chat. But, again, how about forums?

2. Bolin

As far as I know, first names are okay. Some ECers even use their first name for their username or part of their username. I myself (along with other ECers who know my name) have used my first name plenty of times in forum posts, and we haven't been reprimanded, so I think it's okay. :slight_smile: Last names, however, are forbidden. I know that much.

3. Ben

Ben

Hey!

First names are okay, except if they're rare enough that people would be able to identify you through them. People sometimes use initials because it gives an extra layer of secrecy or security. We've also had a few members who go by a first name different to their actual first name, and that's fine. And Allegro is right, last names aren't appropriate.

4. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

To add clarity (even though it was implicitly said in Ben's post), last names aren't appropriate because they make it possible for someone to contact you off-site, by, for example, searching for your full name on Facebook.

As for people not saying their friends' first names, that's something I see done pretty frequently across the internet. I think it comes more out of a desire to avoid identifying people in their stories. Maybe it's to avoid word of the story being told getting back to the person in the story by someone who knows the story-teller and they person they're talking about. Maybe it's to add to the layer of anonymity that the internet has that allows us to open up about things we normally wouldn't open up to in face-to-face interaction (since it helps our offline life feel detached from our online one). These are just ruminations, of course; it's not policy, I can tell you that much. (That is, using first names of friends in your stories is cool; using full names isn't.)

5. BudderMC

^ for me personally, I use different names (or initials) for my friends when I'm recounting stories for two reasons. First, like Owen said, for their privacy. And secondly, since I'm trying to be totally honest online with my stories, if someone can piece the actions to the actual names together, there'd be no doubt about that I'm the one telling the story.

So, protection for both parties I guess?

6. fireworks

fireworks Guest

My first name is super rare.. But is it ok for me to share it in chatrooms here? Coz I did once.. I don't wanna get in trouble!

7. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As the above posts say, it is fine to disclose your first name. If it wasn't allowed then many people would be required to change their usernames (including numerous staff members).

Although it isn't against the rules, I would encourage members to exercise caution when disclosing their names. The site has rather advanced SEO settings to raise maximum awareness on search engines without jeaporadising the members right to privacy, so any information that is posted on the public forum is traceable by search engines such as Google. For that reason members should be careful about what they post within these areas as it is possible for search engines to index it within their results.

There's no harm in posting your first name on your profiles or within the chat room as these are hidden from guests and search engines, but the forums (excluding Ask The Staff and Staff forums) are accessible to guests and search engine bots, so everybody should think carefully about how comfortable they are with revealing certain information publicly. :slight_smile:

8. Rosina

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My first name's rather rare too, but I use it for my username, only as I feel most comfortable using it rather than one of my online personae. If anyone really wanted to track me down, it wouldn't be too hard in all honesty, but I have a high internet presence anyway so you're bound to find me one way or another if you're in half a mind to. I'm not the most model of members when it comes to this, but what can you do :wink:

9. fireworks

fireworks Guest

thing is, with me, my first name is all you need to track me down.. My name is that rare. I have mentioned it once on chat, but with the person I told I really doubt I've done any harm. But to be safe I am gonna avoid using it again :3 I'll use a fake name.. Guys, call me Henna >.<

10. Lewis

My username is my first name, with 3 extra S's added on for some reason.

11. Noir

My first name is super common, but I've still only told two people on EC. Lol, there are so many girls at school with my name if I'm going through the hallway and hear someone call my name, odds are, they mean someone else. :lol:

12. Jonathan

If by some odd chance you couldn't tell, my username is my name :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    When I first joined EC, which seems like ages ago, I was confused and was overly paranoid about people finding me on here so I used the name "Muzzy" and an animated pic of a vampire of as my avatar (if I remember right). But as I became more comfortable with my sexuality and with myself, I started having real pictures (first only albums and then avatar too) and changed my username to my real name. For me, using my real name instead of a alias or nickname was part of the progression of accepting myself.

(yay! 3000th post :grin: )

13. Chickzak

Samme .. Henna =P :lol:
    I've told 2 people onEC I think which is ok, but if I shared it all oveer EC and a family/friend guest came across it.... haha and then decided to look through my thread. Theeen I would definetly be busted. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

#13 Chickzak, May 8, 2012
    Last edited: May 8, 2012
  14. fireworks

fireworks Guest

My name's one of a kind, which make things a helluva lot hader :wink: if you were to google it, and I had shared it here, weeeell, busted :slight_smile: but henna is close enough. It's part of my name backwards, with a speling change..