1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

tweaking how anonymous postings work when previewing

Discussion in 'Empty Closets Help and Feedback' started by joeyconnick, Jan 10, 2008.

1. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Current if you are posting something in an anonymous thread and you untick the "make post anonymous" box, if you preview what you've written, the "make post anonymous" box gets reticked and I'm thinking (actually, no I KNOW) that this is resulting in a lot of inadvertently anonymised posts from people who have explicitly chosen not to post anonymously only to have the site change their minds for them.

Obviously it's great that initially responding to an anonymous post defaults to an anonymous reply because it's impossible to "take back" a post you meant to make anonymously but didn't. But I think if someone has explicitly gone through the trouble of saying "Yeah, I want people to know who's saying this," that should get preserved even if people preview their post before submitting it.

Any chance things could be changed so the anonymous/non-anonymous choice gets preserved after previewing?

2. Steam Giant

Pressing the back button on your browser instead of hitting "post reply" is a great work-around, but then again, if people did this, we wouldn't need to default the checkbox to make the post anonymous in the first place. That's not meant as an insult, it's just that many people are more concerned about what they're saying to think about things like this.

My thought is that if it were possible, it would have been done already, seeing as it does disrupt the flow of conversation to have people posting simply to indicate who they were. If it comes down to the fact that what you ask simply isn't possible with this modification, I'd say we should simply be happy that the box defaults to being checked, because I'd rather it made my post anonymous when I didn't mean it to be, than it make my post under my username when I wanted it to be anonymous. Even if you can just delete the post right away, for several seconds, your username appears as far up as the main category view, and as you'd stated, that can't be taken back.

3. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

It is certainly something I would like to sort out, as I agree it is not ideal as it is now and is probably the cause of all the "that was me" posts.

I'll need to have a look at how the template and code work there, so it's not something I can do instantly. I will try to get to it soon as possible - maybe even this weekend. No promises though.

As SG says, if it can't be made to work correctly then what we have now is the best compromise as it defaults to anon rather than not-anon.