1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How long does it usually take to be upgraded to Full Member?

Discussion in 'Empty Closets Help and Feedback' started by TwoMethod, Jun 27, 2012.

1. TwoMethod

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi guys,

I filled in the form on Friday and meet all of the requirements set out, yet I haven't heard anything on a decision to upgrade/not upgrade me to Full Member.

How long does it usually take to reach a decision? The form says a few days as far as I can remember, and today is Wednesday.

Thanks,
    TM

2. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey,

The time tends to vary depending on the time of year and the individual circumstances of the staff member. For example, you can expect delays in the review process if you apply around May and June as many of our younger staff members will have academic assignments and examinations to prepare for, whereas applying around July/August would result in less delays due to holidays. The most difficult delays also tend to come around during Mid-December to the beginning of January because of the holiday season.

Unfortunately it's not as simple as checking post count and join date, as we view these as the requirements needed for a minimal amount of membership activity to review. There's quite a bit of reviewing that occurs behind the scenes on applications, which is what can cause the delays.

Martin.

3. TwoMethod

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks Martin, I understand fully that there is a process involved, and appreciate the need for such a process.

4. peanutbutter

What do you review besides the requirments?

5. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There are a variety of security checks that we conduct to ensure that there's nothing out of the ordinary that we need to investigate further or contact the member about. This often includes reviewing wall messages, checking usernames and profile fields for any signs of current (or previous) information that would interfere with our security provisions etc, and just general checks along those lines.

I'm aware that what I'm saying is rather vague, but it would be rather counter-productive to reveal a step-by-step process to what staff do as it could essentially be used by somebody with ulterior motives as a handbook for obtaining full membership. Admittedly it's not impossible for an undesirable to get accepted to the full member usergroup anyway, but by being careful with the level of information we reveal then we make it that extra bit more difficult for anybody who may have ulterior motives. :slight_smile:

6. peanutbutter

Is there any privacy with EC? Do you read our messages to one another? Private massages?

7. SimplyJay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I found it interesting how they do the 'full member' thing here...any other site I've been on, for the equivalent member-level (whatever they happen to call it), the server just does it automatically at some point.

8. rabbit1

rabbit1 Guest

just got full member today Yes!!!!

9. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, the main reason we do it this way is because we're in a rather unique situation.
    We're having a very broad age group, from 13-year olds up, here to discuss some sensitive problems, meaning everyone exposes their vulnerable side a bit. And for obvious reasons, we can't say: "have a parent or responsible person look over your shoulder".

I don't need to make a drawing why a site filled with gay teenagers exposing their vulnerable side would seem tempting for some of the more unsavory types out there...

So there really is no substitute for personally regulating who we allow the privilege of full membership. It wouldn't be necessary in an ideal world, but I'd say it's a pretty fair system.

10. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As it says in multiple places on our site and in our CoC, all content (posts, wall postings, chat, PMs) on EC is logged, and can be monitored. In practice, the ability to monitor PMs is restricted to the 4 admins, and even there, PMs are very rarely reviewed unless there is some reason to have concern about the nature and appropriateness of the interactions. So it's pretty uncommon for that to happen, and even when it does, it's limited to need-to-know and to what's necessary to resolve the concern/inquiry.

As Filip said, we have an unusual situation here... vulnerable young people talking about very sensitive things, and a perfect hunting ground for people who would take advantage.

So, as far as we know, our security provisions, full member evaluation processes, and backend monitoring and other processes are unique to EC. I know of no other community that goes to as extraordinary measures to keep the community safe, and we have thus far been very successful in keeping the community free of inappropriate behavior. The tradeoff for that is a lot more human intervention and monitoring. But from what I have heard from people in other communities, EC is unparalleled in terms of the freedom from inappropriate messages and communications, and the level of respect and common courtesy between members.

11. SimplyJay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It makes sense why you have the setup you do for just the reasons you say :slight_smile: I'm actually glad to see you guys helping to protect younger/more-vulnerable members here..

12. peanutbutter

I love it! You guys do great, and it's good that actual people are involved! I'm glad EC is available for us!

<3

13. alwayshope11

Love this site :slight_smile:

14. Emberblaze

So, what exactly is the purpose of becoming a full member?

15. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

The big perks are that you gain the ability to send private messages to other full members and access to the chat room. You also gain the ability to comment on photos and blog posts.

(For the record and for those who don't know, anyone, including regular members, can PM staff members.)

16. Sherri

Oh. Well. Damn. I hadn't realized you can't PM people without being a Full Member. I guess I'll stop telling people to PM me for more advice if they want to know anything, then :lol:. Two weeks!

Out of curiosity, why are the smileys here so erratic? Some have : : tags, some have * * tags, some have mixtures of that and parentheses, etc.

Edited To Add: And, is there an official stance on swearing? I've not seen one anywhere, but I don't want to get in trouble for my foul language before I even begin, so I figured I'd ask :lol:.

17. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There's no blanket ban on swearwords. I probably used the occasional "hell, yes" or "fuck yeah" when enthousiastic about something.

BUT: we do demand users show respect for each other. Which means that you would get in trouble for actually using them to attack a fellow member.
    Also, since we have a fairly large selection of people, blanket attacks against large swathes of people are also not something we endorse. Spirited discussion is OK (and almost a given once discussing politics or religion), but flamewars can result in moderator action.

The rules I personally use are "turn your tongue five times before you speak", and "if you can't say it politely, say nothing at all".

18. Night Rain

I know it's annoying, and I'm being impatient, but I have to ask. It's been (more than) a week now and I still haven't heard anything from the staff. I'm beginning to think that there was some connection problem and my application wasn't sent at all. So I just wonder if you've received my application.
    I think there should be a notification that the application was successfully sent to put people's minds at easy. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

19. Mogget

Your status has been upgraded, you should have received a PM saying so, but the bold Full Member underneath your name is also a clue :wink:

20. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The notification idea is a good one. I'll add it to our to-do list.

In your case, the application was received, and it took a few days for staff to comment and make decisions.