1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Languages used on EC

Discussion in 'Empty Closets Help and Feedback' started by Dalmatian, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Dalmatian

Hi.. I'm pretty confused at the moment. For some reason I was absolutely sure that I've read something about languages that can be used here. I mean, the idea went something along the lines of: "it is important for moderators to be able to understand what is being said, so all discussions should be in English". And that stood for forum and wall messages. Am I crazy? Or have I seen that somewhere completely elsewhere? I'm very unsure at the moment; I was certain I would quickly find that rule in the Code of conduct :grin:

Anyway, my question obviously: can other languages be used in forum, wall and private messages? I am not talking about big languages either; I'm talking for example about Croatian, which is probably only understood by a handful of people here.

Sorry to bother with such trivialities. And thanks.

2. Ben

Ben

Hey Dalmation,

Sadly, we don't encourage users to communicate in languages which aren't understood by any staff members. I understand that it's easier to express yourself in your first language, but we need to be careful about people trying to bypass security restrictions. I agree that this should be covered in the Code of Conduct, so thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Ben

3. Dalmatian

Ah, ok.. so I am both crazy and right. That must make me psychic.

Thanks.

4. Menaki-Neko

Fargo North Dakota, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
    I know it's easier to express yourself in your native language, but the majority of users on EC speak English. Sure there are some multi-lingual users like me, but I think it would be courteous to translate your language into English. I always say that you can type up your post in your first language, and then use a translate tool.

I hope this helps! :slight_smile: