1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anonymous Posting

Discussion in 'Empty Closets Help and Feedback' started by bvtsjm116, Jan 26, 2008.

1. bvtsjm116

bvtsjm116 Guest

I was just wondering if to help clean up the anonymous section if it is possible to make it editable if its anonymous or not anonymous cause that would help get rid of many of the people (like me) saying "^Sorry that was me."

So I don't know if this has been said or not be I was wondering if its possible. Thanks ^_^!

2. biisme

it's not editable because when you post as "anonymous" you are actually using an account. and, that's not your account, so you can't go in and change it. the only way to get rid of those postings (ex: ^that's me) is have administrators go and delete the posts. there is no way to edit them.

3. Micah

4. bvtsjm116

bvtsjm116 Guest

oh... sorry x_____X; *shoulda looked harder*

But now that I think about it... I remember that topic X_x

Anyways, sorry =P

5. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I will be looking to see if I can do something about it somehow.

One thought is to have a JavaScript message box pop up when you click the [Submit Reply] button which says either:

You will be posting this anonymously.

If this is not what you want, click CANCEL and untick anonymous the box.

[OK] [Cancel]​

or

YOU WILL BE POSTING THIS IN YOUR OWN NAME!

If this is not what you want, click CANCEL and tick the anonymous box.

[OK] [Cancel]​

If you click Cancel you would just be back at your message as though you had not clicked Submit so can tick or untick the box then try again.

The problem is that they will look very similar, but it is another check before finally posting. There is a limit to what can be done with JavaScript message boxes, and it needs to be that way (not popup windows) to stop popup blockers from blocking it.

No timescales for this though. I need to get a local development version of EC running first, to work with.

6. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    To keep it from looking too similar, is there anyway it could show the Anonymous avatar on the "you're about to post anonymous" and the user's if they're posting non-anonymous?

7. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

That would be good but it can't be done in a javascript messagebox, only in a popup window. I have now found that there is already some javascript on the form submitting so this may not be so easy to add my checking there.....

I have just made one change though. The tickbox now has a big prominent red rectangle around it which may act as a reminder to check it.

#8 Paul_UK, Jan 27, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
  8. biisme

yea, omg i was so surprised to see that there. i think i actually jumped a little bit :slight_smile:

9. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Well in the 24 hours since I made that change there have not been any "^ that was me" type posts in the anonymous section, so I think the red reminder has helped.