1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

full membership accepting time

Discussion in 'Empty Closets Help and Feedback' started by Brody, Sep 9, 2012.

1. Brody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    How long does it take to get accepted for a full membership???

2. Rosina

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey Brody,

We say it takes around a week to hear back, on average. We allow this length of time so that a significant portion of the Staff Team can review a Full Membership application and weigh in their thoughts before we come to decision based on that discussion.

You will hear the outcome of your application either way.

Rosina

3. Mercy

Mercy Guest

i hope oyu dont mind if i chime in here too Brody it does take time but its worth the wait

4. Fiddledeedee

Out of interest, roughly how many do you accept vs. ask the person to wait/whatever, or is that *puts on sunglasses* CLASSIFIED INFORMATION?

#4 Fiddledeedee, Sep 10, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2012
  5. BudderMC

^ I don't know if it answers the question, but it's not a case of "quotas" or anything like that. We examine each app on a case-by-case basis and accept if there's agreement (or decline if there's concerns) amongst the staff.

6. Fiddledeedee

^ I know (well, guessed and would be rather disappointed if it was "quotas" for some reason). I was wondering roughly how often you decline one, but I understand that that probably isn't a meaningful question as it may vary a lot.

7. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

We accept far more than we decline. I'm waiting for some software to install on my computer right now, so I have time to find the exact numbers. In the past six months, we've accepted 88% of the applications we've received. Keep in mind that that 12% of declined applications includes people who applied before they reached two weeks / fifty posts, people who self-deleted while their application was still under consideration, and people declined for any other number of reasons than that they just weren't behaving. Fewer than a third of the declined applications (so thus less than 4% of all our received applications) were declined because the member's behavior was problematic.

8. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Wait, so becoming a full member is a competitive process with an acceptance rate as if applying to a college or law school? I thought it was just a way to stop spam or something. What are the criteria for being admitted into this most prestigious institution? [​IMG]

9. BudderMC

^ 2 weeks of activity and 50 posts.

Extracurriculars that may aid in your application process include adhering to the Code of Conduct and being a good member of the EC community. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

10. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Also, it's probably fair to say that as our traffic and readership has grown (it's more than double what it was just 6 months ago), the volume of people requesting full membership has gone up substantially, and that, in turn, has caused our response time to suffer. I'm telling people it can be up to 2-3 weeks to get a response to a full member application, but we still aim to have an answer within a week or so.

11. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Giving us cake helps too.

12. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

The acceptance rate is an incidental thing. It's not a statistic we aim to keep constant or anything like that; it's just a percentage I came up with my looking at our recent crop of applications. Every application is considered on an individual basis. We never say anything like, "Well, he's mostly fine, but we've been accepting a lot of applications recently, so let's say no to him," or, "She's kinda iffy, but we've been declining more applications than usual, so let's accept hers." That never happens. The percentage of applications we've accepted or declined recently will never affect your chances of being approved.

We always catch spammers before they get anywhere near 50 posts, so it's not really to stop spam. What it does allow us to do is filter out people who are here for the wrong reasons (predators, people looking for hook-ups, etc.) and keep them from having access to the private communication channels. That's part of what has kept EC the great community that it is: if some perv comes here and sees that he needs to stick around for two weeks and post fifty posts before he can send a message to anyone, he'll go somewhere else to get his jollies.

In addition to what everyone else has mentioned, have some substance in your posts. We often reject applications from people who have the majority of their posts in Fun and Games, unless they have so many more than 50 that there is enough substance in their non-F&G posts for us to base a decision on.

And don't be an asshole. Being an asshole seriously reduces the chances of your application being accepted.

13. jsmurf

Looks like you've surpassed the required the minimum posting quota. :thumbsup:

14. Fiddledeedee

@Owen: Thanks. :slight_smile:

@Chip: I am amazed by how much this place has grown in the time I've been here -- I am number 10,800, and the newest member is nearly 10,000 people on!

@Maddy: *gives chocolate flapjack identical to the one I've just eaten*

15. Brody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I've been banned does that affect anything for acceptance ?????

16. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Yep, and I did apply for full membership back then nearly two weeks ago (9/11), so I guess I've probably been rejected. :tears:

Must have been this part that did me in: :icon_redf

17. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Staff will notify you whether you are accepted or rejected so no response yet means your application is still being considered.

18. HatterMad

So what happens to the people who never apply?

19. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    They remain regular members. :slight_smile:

20. HatterMad

:|

Full members can PM and comment on pictures, huh?