1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disappearing Users

Discussion in 'Empty Closets Help and Feedback' started by Zontar, Oct 27, 2012.

1. Zontar

I'm noticing more and more "nonpersons" on EC; that is, their account appears to vanish without a trace, all links to their posts and profiles are deleted, and they appear as nothing more than plaintext usernames where they once were. In effect, any record of their existence on EC is effectively erased.

Why is this happening? Do these users request account deletion? Is it an extreme kind of ban?

2. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

Your first guess was right: it's a result of the user opting to delete their account.

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Keep in mind that as the volume of traffic on EC grows, we have more and more members... I think the numbers are something like 20,000... so there are going to be a lot more absolute numbers of members self-deleting, even if the actual percentage of self-deletes stays the same.

4. Ticklish Fish

but why would you self-delete?

5. awesomeyodais

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hmm, maybe after posting TMI (too much information) about a certain situation over a hundred posts, either because they don't want people to figure out who they are, or they don't want people to figure out what he/she thinks about their crush or their current-soon-to-be-ex-gf/bf, the parents they don't get along with, the list goes on...

6. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

Sometimes members do it because they aren't active anymore and don't see any reason to keep their account. *shurg*

7. Kidd

Kidd Guest

20,000? As in, 20,000 unique members? Or is that counting lurking non-members too?

8. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Unique members.

Last time someone checked I believe it was around 250,000 unique visitors a month.

9. Kidd

Kidd Guest

Wow, I mean, that's amazing, obviously. I'm glad EC can help so many people. But those numbers seem so much higher than I would have guessed.

10. Caudex

Caudex Guest

I've only seen maybe 1 or 2 thousand different members…where is everyone else? Are they all lurkers?

11. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It includes banned members, banned spam bots (there's been a lot of those), members who've been inactive for ages, and lurkers.

12. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    And... there are an awful lot of people who have joined, but never post, or only post anon, or post very rarely, but read often. :slight_smile: