1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anonymous section.

Discussion in 'Empty Closets Help and Feedback' started by CrimsonThunder, Feb 12, 2008.

1. CrimsonThunder

I was under the impression that it was for support only and then you go in the section and theres these topics:

EC Valentines, Broken English, Are you a good kisser?, What image do I portray?, they aren't support topics at all, the anonymous section shouldn't be a place to just hide your username.

2. otc877

otc877 Guest

I'm going to have to disagree, the anonymous section shouldn't be limited to just support-related threads, but for anybody wishing to hide their face.

Some people are too shy to post their valentines, but the anonymous section lets them post in secret.

Mia...forgot the rest of his name (Sorry if you're reading ! <3) wanted HONEST opinions of how others regarded him. What's a better place where people can post anonymously to post their opinion?

My point is that the anonymous section shouldn't be limited to just support as it is the ONLY sub-forum that allows for anonymous posting. Now, if I saw those kinds of topic in the "Support and Advice" sub-forum I would agree that they are out of place, but as I see it, it's fine.

Just my opinion...

3. davo-man

I think it shouldn't be hell strict. I think the Valentines thread was interesting (still waiting for a valentine for me hehe) and that biisme and fred wanted honest opinions that might not have been given had they not been in an anonymous environment. I don't think you need to follow every rule down to the punctuation for this to be a fun, interesting, supportive and engaging forum. Anonymous shouldn't have to be that solidly restricted.

4. CrimsonThunder

Its in the support area for a reason.

And if people can't be honest with their username there then they probably shouldn't post at all, think about it.

5. Louise

Ooooh a bit harsh, I agree that some of the subjects don't necessarily merit to be in the anonymous section but from there to say if you don't want to use your user name you shouldn't post, I don't agree.

Loads of you know who each other are and on delicate subjects some people might not feel at ease expressing themselves openly. The anonymous box gives them the freedom and also the courage to say things that otherwise they would probably keep to themselves.

6. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The anonymous section is only supposed to be used for topics that are relevant to the support area, however there are a few exceptional circumstances.

The valentines thread is an exception which the forum mods have allowed because valentines can be anonymous. It is only an exception, and it isn't an excuse for members to go and make other fun threads because they will just be removed. I personally cannot see the harm in the thread and think it's a nice idea. Some people do not want their name associated with a particular crush/valentine, both in real life and on here. The mods are keeping a close eye on the thread, and i can't see it doing any harm so far. I do not think it devalues the purpose of the anonymous forum either.

"What image do I portray?" is a support and advice issue. By reading the thread people have offered support for the thread starter, and given them advice on their personality etc. I am guessing the anonymity is the issue here though. I think it is pretty unfair to say that we shouldn't post if we arent willing to show our name because that logic can be applied to the whole anonymous forum. Some people do feel uncomfortable with criticising another member and although they have the choice not to they may still feel like they need to because they may help them. If somebody criticises a member then it can create a tense atmosphere even though this member asked for criticisms. The anonymous feature allows us to avoid that. The final point is that others may feel uncomfortable around a member they have criticised openly. I think there are enough reasons to warrant anonymity, and the idea of "not willing to be identified, don't post" is not something that can be applied in this instance as not every member is confident and comfortable with being identified, especially if they are trying to form friendships here.

Broken English was moved to chit chat earlier by a forum staff member.

"Do you think your a good kisser?" is a very borderline thread, so any decision made on it would be pretty subjective as it could really fit in a few forums. It has been in anonymous for a while so it would be pretty pointless moving it now. Other members may find it embarrassing if they think they are a bad kisser, so they won't have any interest if they do not have the anonymity option. That thread could really go either way though.