1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Closing threads because of "touchy subjects"

Discussion in 'Empty Closets Help and Feedback' started by lafemmenoir, Dec 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lafemmenoir

I observed a thread closed recently on the basis of discussing a controversial topic and I completely disagree with that decision. The topic being discussed was dating preferences when it comes to race and whether or not it is racist to not date a certain ethnic group, specifically black people. I feel that you arent doing anyone a favor by avoiding these topics. It's important for us to be open about our views on these controversial topics be they positive or not. Pretending that these issues dont exist will not erase them.

Also I wanted to provide a response from the perspective of a black person being that I was essentially the subject being discussed. In the U.S. and in any other place that is either dominated or has been colonized by whites, black people are placed on the bottom socially. Beginning from the period of slavery and colonization, we have been taught that black features are inferior and in contrast white features are superior and more desirable. In other words black is not the standard of beauty and all things white are.

That being said, if you feel the need to disclose that you are not attracted to an ENTIRE race than YES that is ABSOLUTELY RACIST.

Now having a preference is entirely different than stating that you are not attracted to an entire race. It makes no sense because members of any racial group are NOT homogenous. And amongst black people there are a variety of features and skin colors. So if you are making that statement it is most certainly based on racial identification alone and yes you are racist for even thinking that is acceptable and sensible. END.

2. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The discussion wasn't going anywhere.
    No it isn't. Your sex drive is allowed to be race-biased, because you can't control it. You can control your attitudes, however. I have never seen an African person i was sexually attracted to, and i could count the sub-continental people i have found attractive on one hand (and those were people of mixed race regardless). I'm the least racist person you are likely to meet.

Politicising one's sexual attractions is a nonsense, and all that thread had devolved to was comments like yours proclaiming moral paucity on the part of other posters and precluding any rebuttal with attempts at objective morality statements, and repeated refutations of those posts.

#2 Pseudojim, Dec 11, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
  3. BudderMC

Just to hopefully clarify, we don't close threads that are covering controversial issues because we don't want to deal with them. We close threads because they're turning into nothing but arguments and not being conducive to a learning environment. You can certainly discuss touchy subjects in a civil manner, but up until the end of that thread when everyone had cooled off, it wasn't being done in that way.

That thread in particular was also created and ran it's course at a point in time where there weren't really any moderators online. Generally we may try to steer the topic from going too far off-topic or offensive by posting and allowing it to run it's course that way. But given that nobody was around to "supervise" so-to-speak, it ran in a manner bordering on malicious.

Above all else, the Code of Conduct holds true for everything in these forums. As that thread was verging on attacking other members, it needed to be closed in order to maintain the CoC. Though this can stand as a reminder that there's nothing wrong with controversial topics, so long as everyone doesn't lose their cool while discussing it.

And please, do not discuss the race topic on this thread. That's not what it's for.

4. Ben

Ben

EC is primarily a support site with a limited number of volunteers. When a discussion of any topic has been exhausted and is becoming a slander match, it's a good idea for everyone if that thread is closed. Oftentimes for these kinds of threads, they're also closed at the request of several members or the person who created the thread. As Budder said, we have to maintain the CoC, and while healthy debate is fine, the main reason for EC's existence is to offer a supportive environment to the members.

5. introvert

introvert Guest

Funny how my post was deleted within 5 minutes of posting it. And I was being completely mature and civil. Talk about censorship. And I just left another site because of moderators who do that.

6. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Your post was deleted since you were continuing the debate about racism on this thread, which is something other moderators already said not to do.

If you have any complains about how we are handeling this issue then feel free to start a thread in the Ask The Staff forum.

7. BudderMC

Mature and civil, perhaps, but you didn't care to actually read what anyone else put, else you would have understood to not discuss the race issue.

As mentioned earlier, touchy subject threads often get closed because people don't act in a way that's respectful to one another. And actually understanding what the other posters are saying (read: reading through their whole posts) goes a long way towards respecting their opinions.

If you feel we're truly censoring your opinions, then there's not much I can do to convince you otherwise. But it's in your benefit to understand we uphold the Code of Conduct with the best interest of the community as a whole. While we're sad to see members leave, pleasing everyone is not our goal, but rather maintaining a "safe haven" of sorts amongst the rest of the Internet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.