1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Changing Profile Name

Discussion in 'Empty Closets Help and Feedback' started by DarkClarity, Dec 12, 2012.

?

Would you support the idea of letting members change their profile name at will?

1. Yes I would support the idea.

7 vote(s)
    38.9%
  2. No I would not support the idea.

11 vote(s)
    61.1%
  1. DarkClarity

I was wondering whether the EC staff have ever discussed letting members change their profile names at will. So say if for example I wanted to change my name from DarkClarity to something else instead of a member of the EC staff doing it, I could do it myself.

Or possibly doing like they do at Runescape where the username you use to log in remains the same but you can have a display name (which what the other members see) that you can change at will like your avatar.

2. BudderMC

The big caveat to that is the potential to share off-site contact. And by that I mean not doing something as making your username a YouTube link, but changing it to a gaming ID or your full name or something.

The only way I could see it working would be if staff had to approve the name changes, similar to how pictures are uploaded... but that's basically the same process as we have now, except it's not automated and people have to post to ask instead. And for the infrequency of name changes we receive, I think it works well enough personally.

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Additionally, it creates security issues in terms of being able to keep track of members and their issues.

This is a case of a problem that doesn't really exist and therefore has no reason to be fixed. :slight_smile:

4. gordilocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    bad idea 'cuz i'd forget who everyone is

5. FunnyMonkey

As we don't really use real first Name I would not remember who's is who.lol

The only thing I would change is to add the option to have two user names at one time like one right under the other so that bi-gender could use a feminine and masculine user name/s if they wanted to. Just my 2 cents

6. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

I know there was one member here who had in zhir signature, "Today I am [masculine name] [feminine name]" and would cross one or the other out depending on how zhe was feeling. So it would look something like:

or

Since signatures are already at members' disposal to change whenever they like, that seems like a better solution to me (plus it negates the issue of not being able to remember who's who because of changing usernames).

7. DarkClarity

It was just suggestion because I know the site is going to go through some updates but since nobody likes the idea then oh well.

8. TheUndiscovered

We can already change our profile names? I just did. :slight_smile:

9. J Snow

I wouldn't like it because it would be too hard to keep track of who someone is. I already get thrown for a loop when someone changes there name as infrequently as it happens currently.