1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting rid of Phorm & Secure HTTPS Connection to EC

Discussion in 'Empty Closets Help and Feedback' started by Lethe, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Lethe

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hello there,

I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but I'll ask anyway.
    Even though I try to keep my identity safe (by using different aliases and different e-mail addresses), I'm aware that my country internet provider works with Phorm company as a tool to watch over people surfing over internet, do you have any methods to get rid of it, or is there a way to connect to the Empty Closets website in a secure way?

Thanks in advance(*hug*)

2. Last Gentleman

There are many commercial VPN providers you can sign up to.

You use your ISP to connect you to the internet, you connect over the internet to the VPN server using a secure connection (similar to HTTPS), then you connect back to the internet from the VPN server using a brand new IP address.

This will bypass any firewalls or monitoring software your ISP or country has. (There's one VPN in Sweden that is prepaid only. By being prepaid only, they can avoid the legal requirement to maintain a database on customers and so maximise your privacy).

3. SomeNights

^VPN just for HTTP is a bit of a pain in the ass plus a lot of overhead.

oh and HTTPS is expensive and EC isn't dealing with credit card numbers or anything like that. No justification for the cost of the certificate or cost of implementation. Not to mention it'll still have EC's IP Address all over it, so they'll still know your on EC, they just won't know what your doing.

My question to you is: what on earth are you doing on your internet connection that would get an ISPs attention? Usually they don't care what you do as long as you pay them!

4. starfish

Some countries internet monitoring policies are pretty bad. See China for an example.

I don't have any experience with it, but I know the Tor Project provides a service to do what you are asking.

WARNING: Using a service such as Tor or attempting to hide your online activity may be illegal in your country or place of access. I strongly suggest consulting a legal professional before using such a service.

5. UndercoverGypsy

Tor is amazing, but unnecessarily slow. My fave VPN is tunnelbear, but if you want, you can do it via proxies. It seems like you care quite a lot about this, so you could try burning a Tails OS live cd - Tails OS is a Linux distro for privacy. If you've read Little Brother by Cory Doctorow, it's pretty much his made-up "Paranoid Linux". Basically what you do is you download the Tails ISO file, burn it with a live cd burning tool, shut down your computer with it in your CD-ROM, and boot your computer up. If it's a PC, it will usually boot tails without any BIOS probs, but if it's a mac, hold down the "c" button as it's booting for it to boot from a cd. Good Luck!