1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Personally Identifiable Usernames

Discussion in 'Empty Closets Help and Feedback' started by DreaminCali, Mar 12, 2008.

1. DreaminCali

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    So I guess it was my own stupidity to use my name as my username on here. Some of you might think, "no, you should be proud of who you are!" I agree with you who would say this. The thing is, I googled my name (like any intelligent, potential employer would do) and a couple post from Emptyclosets showed up. I am proud of who I am, but many employers will discriminate based on sexual identity, and I'm not taking any chances of losing my shot at successful life. I may join up with another username, though I haven't decided. If you, like me, would wrather stay in the closet to your potential employers, and your name is your username, the best thing you can do for yourself is get a new account with a name that is not personally identifiable. It will save you a world of pain.

If you've had trouble getting a job or even lost a job because of this same reason, Your comments are extremely desirable.

I'm going to keep my account for a little longer (just in case this post is deleted in the process), but I'm going to be applying for work soon.

2. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Even if you delete your account here it will still show in your posts and whenever someone has quoted your post.

If you opted for a username change we could probably change any quotes (as long as there aren't too many - with just 49 posts it shouldn't be too bad). That would get rid of the name whereas account deleting wouldn't.

However it could take some time (weeks or months) for Google to reindex all the pages and for your name to no longer come up here in a search result. We have no control over Google's indexing process.

The best I can advise is that you go for a username change as soon as possible. Send me a PM with the new name you want and I'll deal with it.

For others, yes I agree that you should think about the implications of using a personally identifiable username or posting your full name and other info such as email address on the Internet.