1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How much information is too much?

Discussion in 'Empty Closets Help and Feedback' started by thegaymer, Feb 22, 2013.

1. thegaymer

What are the guidelines to posting personal stuff and pictures?

2. BudderMC

What do you mean by personal stuff?

Pictures can be uploaded to your albums through the site. Anything that's uploaded will be screened by the staff first. In general though, if the picture doesn't belong to you you can't upload it. As well, anything that is sexually suggestive or generally inappropriate is also no-go. You can use the rule of thumb: if you wouldn't want your mother seeing it, we don't want to see it either.

3. thegaymer

Am I allowed to give my first name. I'm just nervous because I've saw a few people get banned and I don't want to get banned.

4. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Posting your first name is fine. Personal information bans are given when users post information that lets people find them offsite, like full name or email address.

5. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Also, I've asked the question before, since I thought there might be an exception (i.e. only social networking was really mentioned as no-nos), gaming IDs such as Steam accounts, League of Legends, TeamSpeak, Ventrillo, Skype are also no-nos until you have full membership.

Basically, the rule you should be thinking of is, if providing the information would even make it possible to research who you actually are, it's off-limits to post as well. It bites, but it's partly safety for you, and safety for Empty Closets as a community (which has to make predation difficult for ethical and legal reasons).

#5 Pret Allez, Feb 22, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  6. Tim

Tim

I will note, if your first name is EXTREMELY unique, I would probably use a nickname.

I know some people offline who are the only ones on facebook with their first name spelled the way it is.

Like, my friend Xziqvon. (She no longer uses it on any social site, so there's no connection to me if they look for any mods who might be concerned. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:) In fact, if you specifically search that name, nothing comes up on yahoo or google. XD

7. BudderMC

^ that's an insane name... o_o

Anyways, another rule of thumb is if you're in doubt, go skim over the Code of Conduct or ask any of the staff and we can answer for you. If you PM us or post in Ask The Staff, you can even give us the information you're concerned about.

8. plasticcrows

plasticcrows Guest

This may be more of a problem for some people than others, but if you download a picture that someone has uploaded here, change the file type (e.g. .jpg to .png), and upload it to another website (like imgur), you will be able to use google's "search by image" function. Normally if you just enter the URL for a picture uploaded to emptyclosets.com in google's search by image function, you meet the error message "Images cannot be smaller than 9 by 9 pixels."

Just thought you guys might want to know. A solution would be finding a way to make people unable to save images from this website, but I don't know how you'd go about that.

#8 plasticcrows, Feb 23, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2013