1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Idea for contests?

Discussion in 'Empty Closets Help and Feedback' started by GuitarGirl1350, Nov 15, 2006.

1. GuitarGirl1350

I think we should start contests on here, categories ranging from art to singing to photography, to writing, etc. Kind of like a mini on line talent show.

thoughts?

2. suburbs_of_sodom

Northern Virginia...neither here nor there
    Yeah, I think that could be really cool. For a visual art contest we could have a specific poll thread so people could post their work and then everyone could vote on it.

I personally would love to see some sort of drawing contest...or maybe even fashion design contest...that could be really cool.

3. Micah

What would you suggest as prizes or incentive to participate in the contest?

4. suburbs_of_sodom

hmmm...would it be possible to change someone's title so instead of "regular" or "well known" it would say something like "ec drawing contest winner" or something of that nature?

5. Proud1p4

Proud1p4 Guest

Bragging rights. Seems good enough for most, i dont really think any said 'prize' is needed. But i don't see why the preceedors idea wouldnt be acheiveable.

6. Micah

The User Titles used on these forums are:

Newbie - 0 posts
    Member - 10 posts
    Regular - 50 posts
    Well-Known - 100 posts
    EC Addict - 250 posts

Custom title - 500 posts

That being said, it is possible to have "ban words" in the custom title, such as 'Moderator' or 'Mod'. So it may be possible to put "EC Drawing Contest Winner" in the ban words and change the winners title to it :slight_smile:

True true, however you have to remember that it takes time and effort, and while some people will do it just for the fun/bragging rights I don't think all that many will. But hey! I'm willing to give it a go :slight_smile: sounds like fun.

7. cyclopsrock

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Oh I'd love to!
    if only i were good at something...:frowning2:

8. cyclopsrock

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Oh!!! Idea!!
    I can help judge!! or something!!
    let me know if you want any organizational help.

9. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I could do something with the title thing to give competition winners a different title fairly easily. It would be a different usergroup so I could, for example, increase the amount of PMs you can store and the number of people you can send a single PM to etc.

Any prize or award that doesn't cost any money sounds good to me! :slight_smile:

10. tired_of_lying411

I LOVE contests! just be sure to have a good amount of entry time...

and I LOVE art-oriented things with specific restrictions....

11. Micah

What type of competition would you like to see first? I think running them one by one would be more fun as more attention is payed to each individual comp. and each person's work is noticed more :slight_smile:

Personally, I'd love to kick things off with a visual art contest first (drawing, painting, digital drawing etc).

Do you think we need a specific theme or would you like to keep it open? Having a theme such as "Nature" would give people some sort of guideline and make judging easier, but it might reduce the amount of people entering/restric creative flow :slight_smile: Which would you prefer? (keeping in mind that there will be multiple competitions)

12. tired_of_lying411

hmmmmmm... I dunno, I personally like some boundries to get me started.. but whatever brings the masses in...

13. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

How about a drawing or painting of a human face? It can be a self portrait, a cute guy/girl from your imagination, a celeb, a family member, old or young, whatever. Anything from a pencil sketch on a school notebook page to a portrait in oils on canvas. Drawings/paintings must be on paper (no computer graphics) and either scanned or photographed for entry. It should be enough of a boundary to allow people to make comparisons and judge, without restricting the medium you can use.

We are discussing ways of running the competition in the mods area. One idea is that I set up an email address to send them to, and a webpage to show them all on. Then nobody sees any of the entries until the judging starts (judging would be a poll here). I would just number the entries so people can't vote for their mates! Names would be revealed once the winner is announced.

What do you think?

14. step49x

I definitely like the ideas of no one seeing any of the entries until voting starts, and not knowing who made what. I'm not sure if I'll be entering (i'm not that much of an artist), but I'd love to see some of the stuff that other people make.

15. suburbs_of_sodom

It sounds perfect...it has boudaries but is not too restricting. I'm way psyched to get started.

16. GuitarGirl1350

i say visual art. someone make a threaD?

17. tired_of_lying411

IM IN!

although I am a fan of the computer stuff but im flexible and totally stoked!

and im sure that will be subject of some contest in the future... *hint* :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

18. Micah

Personally I look forward to a computer one :slight_smile:

The final organisation for the competition is taking place, won't be long now :slight_smile:

19. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

20. step49x

I can't wait too see what things are submitted.. :slight_smile: