1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Genderbread Person in Profiles

Discussion in 'Empty Closets Help and Feedback' started by J Snow, Feb 27, 2013.

1. J Snow

So I just got what I think is a pretty neat idea as a future innovation for the site. I don't know how doable this would be with the staff's programming capabilities, but I think it would be cool to have a tab on user's profile where they can customize their own genderbread person to represent their sex, gender identity, gender expression, sexual attraction, romantic attraction, and sex drive.

I know this would likely be too difficult too accomplish, but I think it would give members an easy way to share their identities with others. It would be much more comprehensive than the Gender, Orientation, Out Status thing below our avatars. I would also think it would give members a feeling of uniqueness and pride in their identities.

For anyone unfamiliar with the genderbread person please see link below:

Interactive Genderbread Person

2. Ianthe

Interesting.

I'm attracted to masculine women. This does not seem to be possible under their sexual orientation tab. Apparently, it's possible to be a woman with masculine gender expression, but not to be attracted to people like that.

I find that somewhat irritating.

3. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    They fix this in version 2 of the genderbread person. I'm on my phone right now so I cannot post a link to it.

4. J Snow

Well it would probably be better to do the sexual attraction spectrum 3 spectrum with attraction to masculity, androgyny, or femininity. Still not perfect but I think better. I'm sure with some brain storming a better solution could be made.

---------- Post added 27th Feb 2013 at 08:53 PM ----------

The Genderbread Person v2.0: a helpful visual aid for explaining gender (again)

Genderbread person 2.0

5. Ianthe

Attracted to:
    Men/Males/Masculinity
    Women/Females/Femininity.

There is still no way to express attraction to females but NOT femininity, or masculinity but NOT males.

This could easily be fixed by having the same options for the people you are attracted to that you have for your own identity.

Me:
    Sex: Female
    Expression: Feminine
    Gender Identity: Woman or Femme, depending on the cultural context

My Preferred Partner:
    Sex: Female
    Expression: Masculine
    Gender Identity: How can invisible things that I can't perceive without being told have any impact on whether I am attracted to someone???

6. Fiddledeedee

You're right, Ianthe; it does need to be fixed and it seems almost hypocritical that they distinguish gender from gender expression in one place but not the other. I hope that someone is working on version 3.0 and has an option for "gender other than man or woman" for some people, too.

7. FemCasanova

First time I have heard of the concept, but that little gender-bread thingy was just super-adorable! I would love to be a little gender-bread woman, lol! Is this something we are actually getting here? :grin:

8. Ben

Ben

It's a nice concept, but I'm not very keen on the way everything is broken down. i.e. if someone does not feel 'man-ness' or 'woman-ness', they're not automatically nongendered, so it doesn't seem to cover all of the bases.

9. FemCasanova

No, a friend of my girl-friend explained her gender feeling as "both". She identifies equally much man-ness and woman-ness, if that makes sense? I say she, because she has a female name and she doesn`t mind me having trouble getting used to the alternative, but she says it is equally okay for her to be called he, or him. Or hin, or any other thing. It doesn`t make neutral or nothing, but both.

10. Tim

Tim

There's 'sliders' for gender, unless I saw a different Genderbread thing elsewhere. xD

Though Ianthe brings up good points.

11. therunawaybff

Me: Dude.
    My Preferred Partner: I'll know it when I see it.

12. Ben

Ben

Sorry, I didn't say it properly. I meant that there are people who are third gender, and don't feel comfortable labelling themselves with any mix man-ness, woman-ness or nongender-ness. It's not necessarily a one dimensional mix of how much male and female someone has in them.

13. J Snow

I agree the current way the genderbread person is broken down is not perfect, however I guess what I'm trying to suggest is a fun and more innovative way for users to demonstrate their gender identities and sexual orientations on their profile for others to view. I'm not necessarily trying to suggest the genderbread person in its current form without any modifications.

14. I like this idea... It would be interesting to see this incorporated into profiles.