1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Chatroom

Discussion in 'Empty Closets Help and Feedback' started by Zak, Mar 17, 2008.

1. Zak

Zak

Ok.....I'm about to kill my computer....whenever I try to go to the chatroom on EC, the page will either not load at all....load up to 12%....or will kick me out of chat If I do get in.....also...the coversations in there are like uber slow loading....soo if sum1 posts sumthing...it wont apear on my screen for like 2 mins l8tr.......GRRRR, what is wrong??

P.S-I'm using internet Explorer

:bang:

2. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

The chatroom uses Flash and does tend to grab quite a lot of memory and resources. The use gradually increases the longer you are in there. It is also not good at giving it back when you've finished, so eventually you end up with an unstable browser. With Internet Explorer (because the browser is part of the operating system) it can take Windows with it.

First thing to try is shutting down and restarting Windows. That'll release all the memory that previous uses of the chatroom have taken.

If that doesn't work try installing Firefox and using that instead of IE. It'll still become unstable after a few hours but it won't bring Windows down with it. Closing and reopening the browser (or just starting it again when it crashes) will clear the memory use.

There is a slightly newer version of FlashChat which I will download and install on the server, probably at the weekend. I don't know whether it does anything to help fix this problem though.

3. Zak

Zak

Ummm Paul....it says it is gonna take 27 hrs 34 mins....i really don't have that long. This computer crashed like in november like 5 mins after I joined......lolz....anyway, my moms student fixed it...and now it is like UBER slow!!! the pic on firefox said it should take 2 mins.........not 271/2 hrs. lolz, soooooo, is there like a trojan on my computer....lolz, trojan! Hehe.....i am no comp wiz, and I am uber mad........it takes 5 mins just to load the forum on EC!! I hate this piece of crap....it is only like 3-5 yrs old :bang: :bang: :bang:

4. SAGUY84

SAGUY84 Guest

Are you sure its not your internet connection?

My computer did exactly that when i was on dial up.

5. Zak

Zak

Ummm...I have the fastest internet in the world....Verizon Fios! and my comp is still a piece of junk! ggrrrrrr

6. Hugh

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I use internet explorer and mine is fine...has your pc got too much junk on it? Chat is seriously underused at the moment though!

7. SAGUY84

SAGUY84 Guest

A slow download time would mean your connection is slow. You don't get capped where you are do you?

I have a compaq, 4 hard drives in under a year and its still fucked!

8. Zak

Zak

what does capped mean?

9. SAGUY84

SAGUY84 Guest

If you go past a certain DL limit, your speed slows down.

I'm in Australia tho, we have 2nd rate everything, including internet.

10. Zak

Zak

what is DL? is there any like virus scan I can do?

11. SAGUY84

SAGUY84 Guest

Download. I'm not sure how American internet works tho.

You can do a defragment (not a virus scan, basically just finds wasted space on your comp), to free up space, but i don't think thats the problem.

12. Zak

Zak

How do you do that??

13. SAGUY84

SAGUY84 Guest

Sorry mate, I couldn't tell you exactly.

My BF is the computer expert, so he does everything for me

14. Zak

Zak

Ohhh.....lolz! :lol: Well i'm doing it, and 3/4 of my hard drive looks like free space(white)......I think im gonna go call my sis's BF's band member who is a part of the Geek Squad! lol

15. Urman

Urman Guest

<<points at self is better the Geek Squad lol