1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I wish there was a "like" button

Discussion in 'Empty Closets Help and Feedback' started by Musician, Apr 23, 2013.

1. Musician

There are many statements I like from people on this website. I don't always want to respond to the post, but I'd like to click "like" on the person's post and thank them, and also it may allow me to follow the post without responding. Would it be possible to do something like that on this website?

2. Ridiculous

No. It's a bad idea for this forum. Having 'like' tallies on posts just promotes a competitive environment that isn't suitable for a place that's supposed to be for support.

3. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    On some levels, I've thought a "Like" button would be nice. Faster, certainly, than making a post, even a post with just a smilie.

One issue is that the software might not support this. I'm not up on the nuances of forum software, but I get the impression this is not a custom, in house design. I'm pretty sure I've seen this software in use on at least one other forum I know about. Thus, one is limited by what the software can do.

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There is a "like" function within vBulletin which could be implemented. We've considered it in the past, but decided not to implement it mostly for the reasons Ridiculous mentions. Same with various other options to "vote up" or "vote down" particular posts or threads; it's too easy for that to turn into a popularity contest, or hurt someone's feelings, and we've thought thus far that the cons would outweigh the pros.

I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility that we might reconsider it at some point if there were a lot of demand, but we'd have to really think about how to do it without it just becoming a popularity contest.

5. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Personal opinion, not staff opinion - I don't like the idea. EC's a support and discussion forum, and I think a like button would cut down on the number of posts that are made, which kind of defeats the purpose.

6. Musician

What about just a "follow" button, where you can have a little list of threads you like, but don't want to post on yet? It's just hard to remember/keep track of all the threads I like, but don't want to post on.

7. Pain

Pain Guest

It's already possible to subscribe to threads.

8. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes. Look on the "Thread Tools" menu (blue menu bar right above the first post in a thread). There is an option for subscribe.

You can track subscribed threads by going to "Quick Links" on the blue menu bar that is right under your user name and the stuff for messages, etc. There is an option for "Subscribed Threads."

9. Musician

Thank you, very helpful!