1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Staff Application: Declaration of Interest - Important Information

Discussion in 'Empty Closets Help and Feedback' started by Martin, Apr 28, 2013.

1. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi everybody,

Please read this post in full to ensure you get all the details of what is being outlined within it.

I just wanted to inform you all of some recent developments regarding EC's staff team. As you may know, the recruitment of staff members has historically been done based on nominations submitted from within the staff circle. This, however, is about to change, and EC will soon be embarking on a new recruitment process that will allow members to submit a declaration of interest for volunteering at Empty Closets Community Services.

EC Staff will still be making nominations privately within the staff forums but, as part of our continuous transition as a non-profit organisation, we will be investing in a more structured nominating process that will allow members to apply for positions by highlighting their interest within a completed declaration form. By completing this form you will be able to select a staff position (Advisor, Chat Mod or Forum Mod) that you're interested in applying for and submit your declaration to be considered for this role. The declaration comprises of around 20 questions that will help staff develop a basic understanding of the skills and qualities that you have, and the information provided combined with your membership history will allow staff to shortlist the nominees that they would like to complete a detailed staff application form for final consideration.

If shortlisted you will be invited to complete an official staff application form for the position specified, and a completion of this form will act as an official application for yourself. If you are successful at this phase you will then undergo a few safeguarding checks, and following no issues there you will ultimately be successful and be invited to the staff team. All positions are strictly voluntary, but these roles do also count as work experience on a CV etc, and the organisation is willing to provide references for staff members when they're applying for jobs in which their support role on here is deemed to be relevant experience.

The reason for this detailed process is due to EC now being recognised as a non-profit organisation, and also as a support community that frequently deals with members who are vulnerable and often underage. As a result, our transitioning to a more formalised organisational application process will help ensure that we are able to recruit nominees who contribute to the stringent safeguarding of the community, as well as develop a staff team that is diverse and representative of the wider EC community. It is vital that candidates are able to work within a multi-disciplinary organisation alongside peer workers, medical health practitioners, social workers, counsellors, attorneys etc so please be mindful of the commitment you would potentially be making when submitting your declaration of interest to the organisation.

Please do not be upset if you complete a declaration of interest form and are unsuccessful in being shortlisted. This is by no means a reflection on the qualities and skills that you have, nor should it be taken as a judgement based on your character or membership. We are aiming to develop a staff team that is as diverse and representative as possible, so not being shortlisted does not mean that we don't think the quality of advice that you give is not on par with what we want on staff. It really is just a case of fitting people in where they are needed. :slight_smile:

The Declaration of Interest form is not currently available, but it will be opened up for submissions shortly. The declaration is a short form that will be completed here on EC, and all completed submissions of this form will be sent to the staff forums for vetting and shortlisting. At this point in time I don't have any concrete details on when the process will begin, just that it will be very soon.

In order to be considered for a staff position you must have been a member of EC for a minimum of 4 months (as of when you submit the declaration) and have 300+ posts. During the vetting stage we will monitor the recent posts of candidates to ensure they haven't met this criteria by having a posting binge in Fun and Games etc.

If you have any questions regarding this process please let me know. :slight_smile:

Martin.

2. Martin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    An update.

Best of luck to those submitting a declaration!

Martin.

3. tryhtwfr

Just a question, could we submit nominations of members who we think would be ideal choices for staff positions?

4. Martin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi,

The form is really only catered for people who are interested themselves, but if there is anybody in particular who you feel should be considered for a staff position then you're welcome to post that in Ask the Staff for staff to consider, and I would highly recommend you encourage them to submit a declaration of interest form too!

We have to be careful we don't spend too much time looking into somebody who has no interest in having any sort of formal role and responsibility on here, so submitting a declaration will be the best way to ensure that a person is fully considered. :slight_smile:

Martin.

5. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Will this opportunity come again later this year? I don't have the 4 months now, plus I have other huge time drains. But it's something I'd potentially be interested in when I qualify.

6. BudderMC

^ AFAIK, the application system is here to stay. It might be tweaked a bit as needed (since this is the first time it's being implemented), but I think it's a rather permanent addition to the site/staff hiring process. That said, I suppose it'll be utilized again as the need for staff arises (if this works out well).

7. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Good. I'd like to give back to this site, and also do something to help the LGBT community. I suppose there are volunteer opportunities in the real world, although something Internet based is probably better for me. I lack the in-person social skills to do anything to really make a difference. (Probable Aspie here.)

8. BudderMC

^ as an aside, you don't need to be on staff to "give back". I came to the forums because I was struggling originally, but I stuck around because I wanted to give back to those who helped me by helping other newcomers. Joining staff was just a logical next step to me, but not a necessary one.

A large reason why this community is so great is because we have so many people who are willing to not only give (usually) great advice, but also willing to endlessly listen. There are only so many staff with so many eyes/ears, so it really boils down to even just having active members to uphold that atmosphere. :slight_smile:

9. ForgottenRose

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm out. I'd go mad with power. lol
    So good luck to those who submitted forms! <3

10. Ben

Ben

I'm so pleased to see that this is being done. Much love to the staff team!

11. Martin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The deadline for submitting a Declaration of Interest will be Monday 6th May at 10pm (UK time).

For those in different timezones, you have just over 30 hours left (at the time this was posted) to submit your declaration of interest before access to the form will be removed. :slight_smile:

Martin.

12. Rexmond

Good luck to everyone who applied!

13. Martin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This process has now closed. :slight_smile:

Good luck and thankies to everybody who submitted a declaration!

14. SomeNights

has there been any more news on this, Martin?

15. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We are now going through all of the applications, but since we had a lot of applicants and many of our staff are in the middle of exams and finals, it will likely be some time (2-4 weeks I'd wild guess) before we have any decisions. We'll definitely be making an announcement once we've completed the process.

16. SomeNights