1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Firefox 3 Beta 5 and embedded YouTube videos

Discussion in 'Empty Closets Help and Feedback' started by joeyconnick, Apr 9, 2008.

1. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there,

Anyone else using Firefox 3 Beta 5 (or any FF3 beta)? Since switching I can't see the embedded YouTube videos on EC anymore. I've reinstalled Flash just now so I'm pretty sure it's not a case of FF3 not recognising Flash as being installed. I can go to YouTube and watch videos just fine--it's watching them through EC that seems to not work.

Not a critical problem but definitely an annoyance. *sigh*

2. interstella

the iPod touch and iPhone don't have flash, so I can't watch those either :frowning2:

3. CrimsonThunder

That would be your problem Joey, its in beta. You should use a stable version.

4. CrimsonThunder

Ok just gave FF3 a test and it seems its working on my end, so i would recommend you delete all cookies, restart your computer or wait for an hour and then it might work. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, I realise it is in beta, but it's a public beta and Firefox betas are usually pretty good, expecially with something like Flash, which is why I was asking if anyone else had seen it. Maybe it's a Mac/FF3 beta issue.

I wasn't expecting it to get "fixed" just because I'm using the Firefox beta, I was just wondering if the issue was limited to me.

6. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

If the problem persists once Firefox 3 is our of beta and once we have vBulletin 3.7.0 on here then that is really the time to investigate further.

It will be interesting to find out if it is a general problem though. Perhaps people could say what operating systems you're using too, as it may only be an issue on some operating systems.

7. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It seems to be a problem with AdBlock Plus, because I tried using FF3 B5 with a new profile and the video showed up fine. However, I don't know why ABP is blocking videos in FF3 B5 because it didn't previously. *sigh*

8. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Can you tell Adblock Plus to allow "adverts" from EC and YouTube? Otherwise I guess it is something the Adblock Plus developers need to fix before FF3 is officially released. It would probably be worth you reporting it as a bug.

Does the same thing happen on other vBulletin forums that allow YouTube video embedding?

I'm using AdBlock Plus 0.7.5.3 on FF2 with no problems.

9. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, I could tell it that/just disable it on EC totally, which seems to fix the problem, but I make use of AdBlock Plus on EC to block certain things I don't want to see, so I'd rather not turn it off. Anyway, it's not a tragedy because I can always click the link to the actual video on YouTube and watch it there.

That I can't tell you because I don't go to any other vBulletin forums. Or at least not regularly enough that I'd know if they allowed YouTube. If you have some suggestions for sites to visit I can check it out.

I suspect it's probably some unfortunately combination of FF3 being in beta, AdBlock Plus not quite being ready for FF3, and Mac. When I have a chance I'll check things out in XP and see if it still happens there.

10. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I think ### does?

11. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh of course! Ha ha... see, I really don't go to ### very often at all. And it probably has the same or similar version of vBulletin running.

12. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hmmn... well embedded YouTube videos work fine for me on ### with ABP enabled. Weird.

Guess I'll have to see if the problems persist once FF3 is finalised. Maybe it's some EC-specific filter I have in ABP that is creating the issue, but honestly I can't figure out which one.

13. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Strange.... I think their embedding code is a bit different because it doesn't have the frame around it etc. Ultimately though it's an embedded YouTube vid, regardless of the cosmetics, so it shouldn't make any difference.

One to note and come back to if it proves to be a problem when FF3 is released I think.