1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Private Messaging.

Discussion in 'Empty Closets Help and Feedback' started by Slime, May 20, 2013.

1. Slime

I've been chatting with this guy, a friend now of course, for some time now and we share the same interests, same age, etc. We've been contenting ourselves with public messaging but we'd really like to take the big step and talk to each other via Skype and to be able to do so, we have to have to PM each other our accounts. Now the question is, if only one of us is a full member, will private messaging still be viable? I've been working hard at school for months on end and I haven't been able to log in quite as many posts as he has, so again, my question is, will we able to private message each other if I'm still a regular member?

2. KingdomKeyDK

No you can only private message if you are a full member, and you become a full member by sending in an application on the forum page. You can only private message staff at your status.

3. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nope! Private messaging is only available between two Full Members or any member and Staff. :slight_smile:

4. Slime

Ah well, it seemed far fetched to me as well. Better start grinding those message boards! Oh and thanks for the quick response!

5. BudderMC

This might be an obligatory response, but one I'll put down anyways:

While we allow Full Members to privately exchange contact info, we caution everyone when they choose to do so. The reason the restrictions on public info are in place in the first place is to prevent people from being preyed on. Unfortunately, being 14 years old that does make you a prime target for creeps and the like.

That's not to say that the other guy you're talking to is a creep or that it's an inherently bad idea to share info, but you should definitely give it some thought before handing out your info to anyone. :slight_smile:

6. Slime

I thought of it through and through and I seriously think he's great. Never asked any me anything creepy or harassed me, he's been with me throughout my struggles and my high times and I've been with him during his. It's great though that you people are looking out for me and I am more than aware of sexual predators and the like. Just an extra question, do posts on the "Fun and Games" thread count towards Full Membership? It's just I'm rethinking if my post count isn't full of garbage...

7. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    No, they no longer count. I think they will IF they were acquired before a certain date, but posts made now won't.

According to the post count on the left, under your name, you have 24 posts. You are about half way there. If you got really active, you could do it in a matter of days. I had my fifty posts well before the two week period ended, starting from scratch.

8. Jared

No Fun and Games posts don't count anymore since posts there aren't added to your post count as of a few weeks ago.

9. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Also from what I read, I think there needs to be evidence in your posts showing that you either need support, or are good about giving it.

Chit Chat does, I believe, still count, and you might spent a lot of time there, since it's possible to answer questions fast.

10. Slime

Okay thanks! Fast responses as always!

11. BudderMC

Support and advice is nice to have, but not inherently necessary. It is a pretty good indicator you're using the site for it's intended purpose.

So long as we can get a read of who you are to some degree and nothing you're saying is raising any red flags with us (those we shouldn't reveal), you're probably okay. The vast majority of people who apply with 2 weeks/50 posts get approved, so don't worry much.

12. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Here's the strategy I'd use if I were in your position. I'd get the balance of posts ASAP. I'd aim for fast things, but also try to get a few that show a little more depth. The minute I had the fifty, I'd put in the application. And answer the questions carefully, and with thought. Make the best argument you can for yourself.

Note: it will take a while for the application to get processed. Long back logs are not, I gather, uncommon.

Good luck! And yes, I think it's worth being a Full Member. I value the PM feature, since I can share information that is either not allowed, or else something I don't want on public display on a wall.

---------- Post added 20th May 2013 at 03:34 PM ----------

Does this mean that my decision to hold off after 2 weeks because I didn't think I had a strong enough posting history (content, not number) was unnecessary?

#12 BMC77, May 20, 2013
    Last edited: May 20, 2013
  13. RedPowerRanger

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I would like to know if i have a chance on becoming full member? I think it is coming up towards 3 weeks now since i applied to become full member. As i have said before i would like to chat to members i haven`t chatted to. Be able to go in the chatroom and chat in greater detail to those who need support. I`m a caring person. Will i be told if i am or not going to be?

14. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    RedPowerRanger: they often have a really bad backlog on applications. You should hear one way or the other whenever they get around to processing yours.

15. BudderMC

I'm not sure of your posting history personally, so arguably yes. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Precisely. We'll give you a PM either way telling you that you got approved/declined for Full Membership. I know a lot of us are busy around this time because it's exam season. For the staff, EC is ultimately a volunteer position and while we love helping out, our offline lives do come first.

16. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Offline life? What is an offline life? Does such a thing exist?:lol:

[Long thoughtful pause.]

Maybe I should try to get out more.

[Another pause.]

Or have someone across the forum reach through cyberspace once a week to turn me towards the light, like a plant.

17. Bobbybobby99

Bobbybobby99 Guest

Ahh the daily grind :slight_smile: