1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can Spider-Man Be Gay?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by GeorgieBoy, Jul 10, 2013.

1. GeorgieBoy

So here's a little bit of news that's been causing quite a lot of controversy today, and I think might be of interest to some people here. If you're a fan of last year's 'The Amazing Spider-Man', or Spider-Man in general, you're probably looking forward to the upcoming sequel. Mary Jane had been cast for the movie, but was recently cut. Now, here's the interesting part. In an interview with Entertainment Weekly, Andre Garfield revealed that he'd recently suggested that, after Mary Jane was cut from the movie, what if Mary Jane was a boy?
    Here's what he said to Entertainment Weekly: "I was kind of joking, but kind of not joking about MJ. And I was like, ‘What if MJ is a dude?’ Why can’t we discover that Peter is exploring his sexuality? It’s hardly even groundbreaking!…So why can’t he be gay? Why can’t he be into boys?" He even expressed interest in Michael B Jordan playing the role.
    Now, we don't quite know how serious Garfield is about the idea. He's said he was "kind of joking but not joking" (I think the things about casting Michael B Jordan is mostly a joke), but he had shared his idea with the movie's producer. The director is even aware of Garfield's idea, and hasn't denied it altogether just yet. So this could still go somewhere.
    Now, I wouldn't be at all surprised if this went nowhere. But, if I'm honest, I actually kind of like the idea. I can totally understand why comic book fans/readers would be against it for the sake of integrity more than anything else, but this is something I'd be interested to see. As someone with a slight crush on Andrew Garfield, this would certainly make me more excited to see the upcoming sequels. But what do you guys think? There is a lack of gay superheroes, both in comics and on the big screen, but is this going to far? Let me know (!)

2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would LOVE to see a gay spidey! Just so long as the webs still come out of his wrists. :wink:

3. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm all for the idea! I'd like to see some more gay/bi superheroes, even if it does mess with the continuity.

Just think, maybe he could come out to Aunt May, even!

4. Wolf runner

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    LOL...we do need more Heorines and Heros who aren't always bloody black and white. It's like we don't even exist, and you have to dig to find a book with a gay character...but it would kinda ruin the franchise...if you think about it... :wink:

5. Wildwings

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Colossus in X-men turned gay, gay spidy would of been cool!

6. Acanthophis

Out Status:
    A few people
    I've actually thought this about a lot of superheroes. Back when DC announced that one of their major superheroes (Green Lantern; Hal Jordan to be exact) was gay, I instantly wanted it to be Batman.

Sadly though, they pulled that lame-ass move that is really common to comic-book heroes: they didn't bring the character out of the closet, they simply created an "alternative universe" so he could be gay in that - which is really just a pathetic attempt at publicity.

Anyway, it would be neat to see a gay Spider-man, or any gay superhero, really. So many of them have failed relationships with a plethora of women (Bruce Wayne, I'm looking at you), it would just be logical for at least a few of them to be gay. Sexuality doesn't really change a character though, so they wouldn't do it unless it were absolutely necessary. I remember the fear of a possible-gay Batman (when DC announced a gay superhero), people were so against it because they thought it would change who Bruce Wayne was.

Does Andrew Garfield have the hots for Michael B Jordan? That seems like a specific request... =P

7. Amerigo

[​IMG]

we seriously need at least one

8. Minx

:eek: :laugh:

It would be an interesting direction to take things. Probably never possible but interesting. :slight_smile:

9. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Plus, it has great bondage possibilities.

Spider-Man is the best and kinkiest choice.

10. KingdomKeyDK

Haha! Hilarious!

11. LinkLarkin

I'm not sure they should play round with such a successful and huge franchise like that, but I would definitely like to see at least one gay superhero at some point.

Don't get me wrong, experimenting with his sexuality would be fine but making him completely gay would be a bit out of place... especially since the publicity (and controversy) it would generate would almost certainly overshadow the plot of the movie.

#11 LinkLarkin, Jul 10, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2013
  12. Sarcastic Luck

I think I'll pass on the idea to be honest, but I'm a bit of a comic book purist, in a way, at least when it comes to certain superheros.

13. biggayguy

Peter and Harry certainly fought like lover's. Is that my Spidey senses tingling or my Gaydar?

14. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What gets me going is that Andrew Garfield suggested it, even going so far as asking for a certain casting, and then saying he was kinda-sorta joking. He is pretty cute; maybe the gay team can claim the new Spider Man actor. :grin:

As long as Mary Jane is the continuous drive, I'd certainly welcome some sexual exploration. It could take the place of Tobey Maguire's awkward emo phase in Spider Man 3.

15. Oxelotl

While I think it's a very interesting idea, and could lead to great possibilities in the story (and I have a slight crush on Andrew Garfield :grin:)
    I dobut it would ever happen because homophobic idiots and people who refuse to accept even slight alternative views to their Spiderman mythology would cause a sh**storm.

16. PurpleRain

Skyrim... I have no life, and enjoy it. :D
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm a huge fan of Spidey. Like he's always been my favorite Super Hero since I was small so I have some qualms about changing the character that way (please don't kill me!), BUT here's something to think about: The entire Amazing Spider-Man series (comics and all) is an allegory for puberty and self exploration. It's entirely possible to have a gay or bisexual Spidey and I'm all for that, but I really don't want them to change MJ's character. I was liked her character... I would not be at all opposed to them adding in a new character though. I think it'd be really interesting. However the more I think about the MJ idea, the more appealing it is... :slight_smile:

I'm confused about something though, Peter doesn't have a thing with MJ until AFTER Gwen dies because of the Green Goblin so... How are they going to do that, are they just introducing her character or what? I mean I don't mind them changing things but that's just such an iconic moment... Even Sam Raimi did kind of a half-ass portrayal of it in the first Spider-Man movie...

---------- Post added 10th Jul 2013 at 07:44 PM ----------

This made me laugh so much. Thank you for posting that. :roflmao:

17. ANightDude

In the film? She'll be introduced in the third film. Originally they were intending to have her in the second film, but for whatever reason they cut her scenes (Shailene Woodley) and they'll re-cast her in the third.

I'm assuming they're just introducing her character. Who knows if they'll even set up a love triangle here. They apparently are going to make four films so more than likely by the fourth they'll be together. I just think they'll go for building her character more in ASM 2/3.

This does bring up the question of gay superheros though. I'm unsure about Peter Parker being gay, because he simply isn't in the comics and quite a bit of his story arcs have to do with relationships. Peter Parker in an alternative universe, go right ahead. But the main story and essence of Peter is his relationship with Gwen.

Maybe for Miles Morales though? Wouldn't mind that.

18. gordilocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    gay spider man would be the best

19. Bolin

I don't really care either way. I'm perfectly fine with Spider-Man being straight (and I actually prefer it since his being gay would mean that some of my (canon) OTPs would be screwed up to hell...). There are a lot of LGBT comic characters already, and you don't have to "dig" for them since they're A-List heroes/villains... Wiccan, Hulkling, Mystique, Destiny, Anole, Rictor, Shatterstar, one of the Green Lanterns, Batwoman, The (female) Question, Northstar...

20. Valkyrimon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Gay Spidey would be interesting, though I think gay Flash Thompson as Venom would be fucking amazing.