1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pan's Labyrinth

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by suburbs_of_sodom, Jan 27, 2007.

1. suburbs_of_sodom

Northern Virginia...neither here nor there
    I just went to see Pan's Labyrinth with my friends for one of their birthdays, and I must say, it was quite amazing. For those who may not be familiar with it, it's essentially a fairy tale set in 1944 Spain, and contains elements from both the Spanish Civil War and the fantasy realm that the protagonist journeys into. I thought that the plot was very interesting, the characters were well developed, the acting was well done, the cinematography was incredible, and was emotianally wrenching. I would highly recommend anyone to go see it who can stand the amount of gore (don't worry, it's not horror so blood isn't the leading plot element) and the fact that it's entirely in Spanish (with English subtitles).

I was also wondering if anyone else saw it and what their thoughts on it were.

2. Micah

oh my friend was SO just telling me about this movie yesterday... Saw it being advertised so I'm thinking of checking it out. Tho I'm not too keen on subtitles...

3. justjoshoh

I saw it on the premier weekend. I would agree the story is well developed, actually to the point that they probably could have at least two if not three quality movies out of the movie is the elements were seperated.

4. suburbs_of_sodom

Northern Virginia...neither here nor there
    Yes, that's true. Although I liked how each story line complemented the other in such a way that, while maybe a bit overwhelming, drew forth some really essential characteristics of each story that might otherwise have been lost. Just the whole contrast between the facism, the resistance, and the fairy tale I thought was really interesting.

5. tired_of_lying411

HAHAHAHA I saw I saw Ice Age: the meltdown today... :icon_razz hehe..

It was pretty good, too, in that sweet way. I love the animation aspect of it mostly...

But yeah, haha I'm not that into those serious movies set in the past... I mean, don't get me wrong, I love lots of serious movies, just not period ones.. and I hate foreign language films...

Freedom Writers looks amazingly good, (see, I do like serious movies haha)too bad it's not coming to any theaters close by me...

[whoa o__o thread hijack!]

6. justjoshoh

suburbs of sodom: Indeed, I appreciate the almost poetic transition and contrast between the storylines. The cinematographer wove a wonderful weave through the storylines for a real touching piece. This movie allowed the viewer to escape into three completely different settings and explore the intricate plots within. This movie, moreso than many of recent memory, captivated the audience.

tired of living 411: Don't be so quick to judge the movie as a simple time period piece. There are some parallels that can be drawn that corollate to present time. Also, don't let the subtitles and spoken foreign language stop you from seeing a great movie. There are too many good movies that you would miss because of a disinterest in diversifying.