1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Movies with a GLBT theme that did not resonate with you

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Tightrope, Jul 12, 2013.

1. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ok, which GLBT movies didn't work for you? This is all about opinions and perceptions.

1. Brokeback Mountain - I went in not knowing what to expect, except for the basic plot. It had a darker feel than I was expecting, from the tumbleweeds across the railroad tracks in the beginning to the tumbleweeds across Jack's parents' farm at the end. Everybody in the movie had scowls in their faces, the whole time. Maybe that's what it was trying to portray, that it was a hostile environment. There's some character development on Jack, but little on Ennis. I liked Ennis's character better. The personalities were complementary. But, finding a smile on anyone's face during that movie was like looking for a needle in a haystack.

2. Shelter - I couldn't relate to any of the characters. The crowd of people they hung out with who were in constant "hey, that's cool" mode got tiring. They were almost robotic. It seemed like everybody was always waking up late. For being near the beach in L.A., the whole feeling wasn't very bright. It tore into a torrid sex scene, and I wasn't reading the chemistry that well until then, and I wasn't convinced all that much. Again, it was more dark than bright. Everybody in it seemed down most of the time.

There are films with a GLBT theme I like, and they have better character development, more to think about (for me, anyway), and some comedy and more typically irony.

How about for you? Any you weren't all that charged up about?

#1 Tightrope, Jul 12, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2013
  2. LibraryKitten

Out Status:
    Some people
    I haven't watched many LGBT films yet, but recently I watched Imagine Me & You and found it to be very cheesy and unrealistic, but I don't know if that had more to do with the mood I was in when I watched it than with the quality of the film itself.

What are some of the films you recommend? I tend to prefer films with good character development as well.

3. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think there are 3 I liked, and they were released at different times, so they reflect different mindsets:

- "Making Love"
    - "Desert Hearts"
    - "Mine Vaganti" ("Loose Cannons") - foreign

I'd like to see "Head On" (~1998, Australian) but have not - the trailer looked heavy.

4. LinkLarkin

I haven't seen it all the way through yet but I haven't been overly impressed with the clips I've seen from Eating Out. I should probably watch it sometime to give it a fair chance though.

5. Linthras

Linthras Guest

Can't remember the name, but the whole movie is based on A Midsummer Nights Dream.
    Which made it rather silly and not in a good way.

6. ArcaneVerse

I have to agree with you on those movies. they just didn't work for me either. I honestly haven't even finished Brokeback Mountain, after the semi rape\love scene I was both bored and disappointed, not because I was expecting a hot steamy love scene or anything, it just came off as pathetic.

I think most gay movies don't completely resonate with me, maybe because the majority of them aren't that well done. I've seen a lot of gay films though and while most don't have a profound effect on me they can still be enjoyable and don't rub me the wrong way.

The exceptions, in a positive light, however are Prayers for Bobby and Latter Days, being raised Mormon made those two movies have a big impact on me. There are other great films that I loved but they didn't resonate with me as much.

The Eating Out and the Another Gay Movie series are horrible but they are exactly what they aim to be. Sex driven, cliche ridden, camp as fuck, often bizarre and lacking any real story line kinda movies. I knew what I was getting into when I watched them but still I was repulsed by them most of the time.

Also I've seen a lot of weirder movies too, like an Australian film Tan Lines, which was I don't even now how to explain that film. Odd is an understatement.

I'm still hoping for more amazing gay films but it doesn't like like its going to happen anytime soon. Its the same with literature, though there is more options here then with films, there is hardly any diversity in the plot lines and very few are truly moving or profound.

---------- Post added 13th Jul 2013 at 05:33 AM ----------

I believe that move is called Were the World Mine.

7. Linthras

Linthras Guest

Have to agree with this.

I was raised a-religious/multi-religious. I really like thos movies.

Ditto.

Yep, that's the one.

8. ArcaneVerse

If you liked those you "might" enjoy a movie called The Wise Kids, Its a slightly offbeat movie that deals with different levels of faith and the effects it can have of different people. I mostly watched the movie in the first place because the main actor is a cutie and I was impressed with his acting in another movie, which is a favorite of mine called Nate and Margaret, its also a bit left of center but was also really enjoyable. Despite me having watched it for that reason The Wise Kids is a pretty decent movie and I like the message it displayed.

9. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    "Long Term Companion" was interesting and showed an array of characters, and even if their time on screen was not long, you could see what each of them were like, for the most part. "Prayers for Bobby" has been mentioned a few times, though I know nothing about it.

10. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have disliked every LGBT-themed movie I've seen besides Brokeback Mountain and I Love You Phillip Morris.
    Brokeback I probably only liked because of Ang Lee.

11. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can't say I've seen any I've liked, or relate to...maybe there is something French, Italian, or foreign, that I just have never seen, but most films seem to rely too heavily on this or that stereotype (macho, effeminate, drag-queen, &c), so as to make me uninterested.

12. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's kind of true. Even Scott Bakula's character as the partnered neighbor guy in "American Beauty" was depicted as being dapper. There was a scene where Annette Bening was fawning over his tie. That one had a weird, dark twist. Who would have thought?

13. Adarya

I mainly prefer to stick to book series with LGBT themes or characters and I think there should be more of them. Fanfiction has somewhat of a bad connotation, but some of the LGBT stories and relationships found in fanfiction are actually amazingly good, have dynamic, and are written by talented writers. Thing is you have to know how to find them or they need to be recommended to you.

As for the movies I have seen I didn't find Shelter very enjoyable- I don't know why I even watched it in the first place-, but I did think that Prayers for Bobby was pretty good. Overall though I mostly stick to reading, unless a very remarkable LGBT movie comes out that I must see (which hasn't happened yet).