1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is your favorite LGBT Show/movie/book?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Lunarchy, Jul 17, 2013.

1. Lunarchy

What is your favourite Lesbian, Gay, or Transgender show, movie or book?

For me it's definitely an Anime called YURU YURI!! (My avatar is from yuru yuri ^)^)
    It's a show about a young group of Lesbians who form something called "The Amusement Club." It's absolutely hilarious, and I like the free, fun, atmosphere they use when addressing homosexuality ^)^

2. LinkLarkin

Will and Grace is the only one I've been particularly exposed to, so I'd have to go with that :slight_smile: I plan to get around to more fully immersing myself in the culture at some point though!

3. Bear101

I LOVE "Latter Days". So many gay people expect religious people just to start minimizing their years and years of faith. I love this movie as it shows the realistic struggle of a young man as he's trying to reconcile his religion and his sexuality.

4. BooksJeansTea

Like LinkLarkin, I haven't been exposed to much LGBT culture. I did read a really interesting short story, The Witch Sea. (Found it free on Kindle if you're interested). It did a nice job of tying in a little bit of romance that wasn't overkill with inner struggle and conflict.

5. KhanSaheb

Movies - There are so many I've loved.

Making Love (1982) - Kate Jackson, Harry Hamlin, and Michael Ontkean (It was this movie that brought me to my epiphany that I was gay.)

Maurice (1987) - Beautiful love story. I'm a sucker for a costume drama!

The Sum of Us (1994) - Russel Crowe plays a gay guy. His dad keeps trying to set him up with other guys.

Beautiful Thing (1996) - Teen love in an estate housing complex in UK. Sweet film!

TransAmerica (2005) - Felicity Huffman was robbed of her Oscar! All Reese Witherspoon did was play herself in Walk the Line, yet she got Best Actress. Felicity Huffman became a different person.

Books: One of the absolutely sweetest books I've ever read was The Boys and Their Baby, by Larry Wolff.

TV Shows:

The New Normal was great.

I was never a fan of Will and Grace. Although it had its merits, Will was always the lonely, pathetic gay man that is portrayed all too often. There really are happy agy folks out there!

6. BelleLey

BelleLey Guest

Tv shows : the L word, lipservice
    Movie : Imagine me and you, Kyss mig (swedish movie)
    I never read a LGBT movie, i should though.

7. Yohoshi2013

Yohoshi2013 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Tv Show: 1 Girl 5 Gays, RuPaul's Drag Race
    Movie: The Eating Out Series, Philidelphia, Prick Up Your Ears.
    Book: Well not to toot my own horn but I love reading stories I write for my own enjoyment.

8. biggayguy

Tales of the City, More Tales of the City: both books and TV series

The Bird Cage
    Torch Song Trilogy
    In & Out
    Priscilla Queen of the Desert (Drag Queens, Transgender)
    Small Town Gay Bar
    Trembling before G-d (Gay, Orthodox Jews)

9. Holly

Imagine Me and You is the best LGBT movie I've seen. I haven't seen many, so if anyone can recommend me any, that would be great. (particularly lesbian, but I'm open to both!)

10. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I picked these out. "Making Love" was in good taste, maybe a little restrained. The scene that got to me was when Kate Jackson went to visit the guy whose number was on the matchbook. She kept her cool while there and his description of his rotating door was eye-opening, as worded, but he was being truthful.

As for "Will and Grace," from 5 or 10 minutes I've watched here and there, it just seems that he's caught up in NYC's cycle of dispensability, fickleness, and options. What is he in the show - 40ish? There are guys who look better at 40 than they did at 25. As soon as the other 2 obnoxious sidekicks in the show come in, I get up and turn it off. They say NYC is that way for singles of any sexual orientation, so that's why you have so many perpetual singles. NYC is a mecca, but it has no appeal for me other than for tourism, and I'm primarily referring to Manhattan.

---------- Post added 17th Jul 2013 at 01:25 PM ----------

It was comical, despite an extremely uncool premise - the announcement by the actor played by Matt Dillon at the Academy Awards. Kevin Kline is a good actor, and he was good in this, too. His clueless nature for so long lacked credibility, but that was part of the silly nature of the film. I've been told I sound somewhat like him.

11. "Running with Scissors". It's not necessarily gay-themed, but the main character is gay. Other than that, I haven't read any LGBT-like books.

12. Lovely

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hey,

I recently watched the Swedish film With Every Heartbeat (in Swedish it's called 'Kyss mig', which means kiss me) and it was amazing. It really touched me because the acting was brilliant and even though it's just a movie, this is exactly the kind of love I dream of having. Maybe I'm a fool for believing in happy endings, but this film made me hopeful that there may be a Frida out there for me as well (Frida is the name of one of the two women. Just watch it, honestly, even if you don't understand a word of Swedish... :eusa_whis).