1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My computer is infected with a virus

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by total mo, May 7, 2008.

1. total mo

total mo Guest

My computer has been infected with a virus, because on IE, when I go to yahoo.com this thing shows up

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It obviously is wrong because the information it is telling about me is completely wrong. It wants me to download another thing, which I'm pretty sure is another virus.

I need help with this. If anyone has encountered this before, from a website please let me know how you got rid of it.
    :help::help::help:

2. total mo

total mo Guest

Never mind. I got rid of it myself with avg. Who wouldve thought different anti virus have different scanning intellects.

3. Alex

Whenever something say that and it is not your Firewall/antiVirus.. it is a simply virus intented to make you download the real one... so just get rid of it if it should happen again.

4. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, legit virus blockers won't ask you to "click here to download" something to protect your computer from a virus. It may update from time to time, but it won't give you the window above. What you got there is actually a pop-up ad designed to look like a pop-up warning.

Lex

5. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Yep, that's exactly what I was going to say. There are a lot of fake security warnings and products that are designed to either get you to download and install a virus or to take your money (and maybe steal your identity) and give you nothing.

AVG Free version 8 detects adware and spyware as well as viruses (at last, the previous versiona detected viruses only) and is reasonably good. Personally I prefer AVAST Home Edition if you are going for a free one (better detection rate and doesn't try to make you buy the commercial version), or NOD32 if you are buying one (better and more consistent detection rates than anything else out there).

(I removed the website from the title because it sounds 18+)

6. Zūn Jìng

Zūn Jìng Guest

I just recently had to remove worm.win32.netbooster off a friends computer. Its a nasty smitfraud worm that changes your background and says your privacy is in danger then a message pops up asking you to download another program(Which is a virus). The anti spyware he had (Norton) blocked the website to download it. BE SURE TO ALWAYS CHECK IF WINDOWS ADMINISTERED THE MESSAGE TO DOWNLOAD AN UPDATE/PROGRAM. If you are not sure check the link of which it wants you to download. First off because windows always hosts their own files on their server and does not upload to a different upload site(FileFront SourceForge etc.) Second its easy to tell if its not related to your anti-virus/firewall/spyware etc.