1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Characters You Identify With?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by drwinchester, Jul 25, 2013.

1. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

So as I've been researching/musing my identity, the common trans* stereotype seems to be that transkids growing up tend to identify exclusively with characters of the gender they identify with.

Not the case with me, I've noticed. Or, for that matter, with cispeople I've met. Growing up, I identified with characters of both genders. For instance, not only could I relate to characters such as Tarzan, Simba, Hercules, Harry Potter and Jimmy Neutron but there were female characters I admired such as Belle and Hermione.

Took me a while but it seems a common thread many of these characters shared was that they were all 'different', outcasts whether because they were nerds or they weren't muggles, etc. Which would aptly describe how I felt growing up, never really fitting in anywhere.

So how about y'all? What characters, TV/movie/books did or do you relate to growing up?

2. Azrael

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I can relate myself with Maxxie from Skins (UK) because of sexuality and the similar passion for the theatre and that stuff. Other than that we are different since I possess no redeeming physical features and resemble a child with the genes of Susan Boyle mixed with Gordon Brown. I'm personally against the thought of me shagging casually or going to parties.

I'm ashamed to say this, but I can also be seen similar to Margaret Thatcher, the portrayal from the Iron Lady in which she was a person who liked to get her own way when working in a group and has strong beliefs. Though fortunately with the revelation of my sexuality these negative traits are beginning to disappear.

3. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Webcomics:

Tavros Nitram - Homestuck
    Sollux Captor - Homestuck
    Terezi Pyrope - Homestuck
    Jade Harley - Homestuck
    Kaji Katsuki - Seiyuu Crush
    Alex - Kaoskomix

Shows:

Goku - Dragonball/DBZ/DBZA
    Ryuichi - Gravitation
    England - Hetalia
    Canada - Hetalia
    Germany - Hetalia
    Tommy - Rugrats
    Phil/Lil - Rugrats

Movies:

Peter Parker - Spiderman/Spiderman 2
    Gary - Parenthood
    Gil - Parenthood
    Simba - Lion King
    Ed - Lion King
    Shenzi - Lion King
    Mufasa - Lion King
    Zazu - Lion King

Other:

Jimmy - Quadrophenia

4. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Chandler from Friends Lol

5. LinkLarkin

I related very well to Hermione too, and Lisa Simpson. Anybody smart and misunderstood seemed to summarise my younger life (not so much smart now but I was definitely top dog in high school haha), and I guess they're the two that I had most exposure to.

6. justjade

I remember really identifying with John Smith from Pocahontas when I was a kid.

Right now, though, it's more like Iron Man as portrayed by Robert Downey, Jr.

7. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Chris Evans' Captain America myself. :grin: Lately, tend to admire the good ol' boys and whatnot.

Find myself identifying with Atreyu and other young kid heroes more and more lately...

8. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Chris Fountain in Corrie :slight_smile:

9. Holly

Hermione (Harry Potter) definitely. I like books, so :3

Also, Belle French (Once Upon A Time), we share a love of books, and I have an insistent need to try and fix people...

10. FloatingPiano

I can really relate to Naomi from Skins in season 3.

I also relate to Charlie from The Perks of Being a Wallflower.

11. Jakey945

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Recently I find myself identifying with John Snow from game of thrones (getting thrown off my moral high horse because well in my case a boy :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)

12. PurpleRain

Skyrim... I have no life, and enjoy it. :D
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I guess growing up I identified with a lot of characters, but I never really though about it because I never really saw any characters that I was really a lot like. I saw a ton of characters that I admired and thought were great, but none that I could really relate to.

That's why I have to say the only character I can really honestly relate to is Fluttershy. It's not just personality-wise either, though I am very much like her in my personality. The reason I identify so much with that character is because before I saw her and watched her episodes, I really really hated myself. I mean I really couldn't stand the fact that I was so shy and afraid all the time and people have always just made me feel worse about it. Seeing a character that has those same personality traits as me that doesn't have to go through some major metamorphosis and change into a totally different person was new. She stays the same and is always shy and afraid and nobody wants to change her because that's who she is, and it's ok. I mean I still don't like myself totally, but because of that I've learned to accept that it's alright to be shy and afraid and you don't have to change who you are. That's really why I love her so much because now I can look at myself and say "It's okay." :slight_smile:

13. Sorcerer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Clint Eastwood. :icon_redf

Dirty Harry, etc etc.

14. biggayguy

Xander- always falling for a lesbian or a demon. I guess you could say I would feel comfortable on the island of misfit toys.

#14 biggayguy, Jul 25, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
  15. pamplemousse

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I read the first Harry Potter book when I was seven and Harry Potter is the only character that I can remember feeling connencted to as a child. There was something about the boy who was special even though he didn't feel special, and who was able to get away from the bad situation he was in and ended up somewhere he belonged. But most people can probably relate to that at some point in life and a lot of stories contain similar themes. I was just very limited in my culture-intake as a child and only read HP.

16. Allecto

Rachel from Player One
    Gregor Samsa
    Abed from Community
    Daria
    April Ludgate
    Enid Coleslaw from Ghost World

17. Zyzzyva

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Not sure if I identify with Amy from "If These Walls Could Talk 2", or just terribly attracted to her.

Identify because: I understand completely what she means when Linda asks her why she dresses like a man and she says "This is how I feel comfortable... It can't be any other way!" Brings back memories of being awkwardly forced into dresses. I'm not butch, but I'm certainly not comfortable in dresses for whatever reason.

Attracted because: Chloe Sevigny plays the hottest classic butch to have ever scorched this earth.

18. Abbra

19. songbird

As a kid, I mostly identified with and related to males. I can't think of any female characters I identified with, even now.
    There's Ben Wyatt (Parks and Recreation - I share many personality traits with him too), Jim Halpert (The Office), and Sam Winchester (Supernatural) that I can think of right now. Oh, I also strongly identify with Laure/Mickael from the French film Tomboy (I'm still not sure if he/she is a trans* character because of the ending, but I found myself really relating to what the kid was going through, even though I didn't have the exact same experiences when I was younger).

20. TheMightyBoosh

Harry Potter :grin:
    I always felt I could relate...him being locked in that cupboard was like me being locked in my room for many years and with him having that snobbish, annoying cousin Dudley, I could kind of relate (my cousin isn't like Dudley btw) And I had and still have a huge obsession with magic :rolle: It amazes me. And makes me feel like a kid.

Peter Pan- Wanting to stay young forever at times but feeling as though I need to have someone like a "Wendy" to keep me company.

Hannah Ashworth from Hollyoaks.... yeah... I am so much better to those who remember Hannah just to confirm. For those who don't know of the character Hannah, she had an eating disorder and I could relate to almost all of her story.

Frankenstein- :bang:

---------- Post added 26th Jul 2013 at 01:30 PM ----------

I love the Tomboy movie, :slight_smile: and I didn't like the ending too much, I wish I knew what happened. And yes I cried when the mum took Laure/Mickael to see Lisa :icon_sad:... It was heartbreaking for me, but yeah they did become friends again at the end....I think :thumbsup: but still..

I relate to Laure/Mickael too, what with the her/him saying to the kids he/she was Mickael and trying to fit in with the guys :rolle: