1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blurred Lines - Sexy or "Rapey"?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by BryanM, Jul 25, 2013.

1. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Now, I've heard the song multiple times and I think it has a nice tune and is catchy, but I never really paid attention to the lyrics, but apparently some people don't like the song or the music video, and think the song and video are degrading to women or is even 'rapey'. Also, I never listened to the explicit version either, and I was kind of surprised by some of the explicit lyrics.

Here's a video talking about it
    [YOUTUBE]tfaF-CsdqdY[/YOUTUBE]

Here's the music video
    [YOUTUBE]yyDUC1LUXSU[/YOUTUBE]

So what do you all think? Do you think the song and video are objectifying women and such, or do you think it's all in good fun, like the song creators said?

#1 BryanM, Jul 25, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
  2. PurpleRain

Skyrim... I have no life, and enjoy it. :D
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If there's a blurred line between sexy and rapey... It's more than likely rapey. :lol:

3. Zyzzyva

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm more offended by the behavior of the men in the first video from 1:08 on. "(after his bout of thinly veiled 'sacrasm')...the rapey thing that drives me crazy, I'm against it... the brunette is gorgeous... you gotta see the uncensored version!"

Not the best observations to bring into the conversation in a discussion about the objectification of human beings.

The guy on the right is even worse, "First of all, I wanna know, that feminist blogger. When she wrote that, what exactly was she wearing?"

Words so utterly stupid, that guy on the left senses the danger in being that stupid. He then spouts a weak "I don't agree [that the video is rapey] because we gotta have some fun." and then something about a "conversation people have once in a while", while he "like" sputters "like" confused non-sentences.

And I'm sitting here thinking that whether or not the video is in fact 'rapey', that this man on the screen is under the impression it's okay to be 'rapey' because the media is for fun entertainment all around, yay!

The lady is trying SO HARD to get an actual conversation going; she's barely making ground because guy on left continues to say things like "I like the video, I think they're hot", as if that were somehow relevant to anything being said at all.

It feels like he wants to say something more about the nature of satire and debate whether or not the video is a satire, but does not have the words for them.

#3 Zyzzyva, Jul 25, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
  4. photoguy93

The moral of your story, from what I see, is that people make things worse when they start trying to find something...and I hate it and totally agree.

I never thought it was bad. I mean, there's really no reference to anything besides sex. Maybe I'm just naive and stupid, who knows. I just think we need to CALM DOWN. there's way worse out there.

5. Zyzzyva

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    What I was trying to say is that the male commenters are so much more damaging than the video that they are discussing that the irony has left me incredulous.

6. FreeFlow9917

Look at the name of the song to find your answer to sexy or rapey, there are blurred lines between sexy and rapey

Or some other shit i dont understand

7. BadCanadaJoke

OMG I love TYT!! I'm like a regular viewer. I saw that video too.
    Totally rapey btw:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

8. lukeluvznicki13

Hmm...
    well basically the song is a whole concoction of "get in my pants girl".
    so it is more rapey then sexy o.e

9. BudderMC

1) The fact that they said "rapey" makes me incredibly inclined to not watch their opinion. I mean, it's really hard to take something like that seriously.

2) This is not the first and will not be the first music (or music video) based upon getting sex and objectifying women. No, that doesn't excuse it if there is an issue with it, but I don't see why people are only making an issue about here.

10. ScatteredEarth

Seems like any other modern day song to me. What's so special about this one? I've seen much worse in a Lil John music video.

11. Beachboi92

I think it definitely depends on the kind of person the musician is. You would have to gauge their character to gauge the intent of the song. That being said I think a lot of people will hear something like this and read it the wrong way which is why I don't want to like the song. At the same time it does address an issue from a different perspective than we usually hear it and shines light on a culture where rather than be direct about interest in sexual activity people play it cool, or hard to get, beat around the bush, and think it is better to act uninterested or mysterious about it which creates a scenario for rape rather than just being like "your hot, I like you, what are you doing later?"

12. Hun

Hun

Rapey.
    And oh yeah, Get Lucky should be the number one 70's throwback featuring T.I. on the charts instead of this.

13. FreeFlow9917

The song reminds me of the music vid. Gagnam Style

14. Hun

Hun

Except Gangnam Style actually had effort put into its video. This video is just "Hey, let's just stand around and do nothing while we have these half-naked girls also just stand around and do nothing. Oh and also we should have a Twitter hashtag obnoxiously shoved into every five frames."
    This is seriously one of the lamest, laziest music videos I have ever seen.

15. Stripe101

I hate this song because it beat Get Lucky on the charts. Get Lucky is 1,000 times better than Blurred Lines!

---------- Post added 26th Jul 2013 at 11:18 PM ----------

Did you get that from Todd In The Shadows?

16. Hun

Hun

I did watch his review a few days ago, so perhaps his rant is still stuck in my mind, but regardless, it is exactly the way I feel about it.