1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Writing Help

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Adarya, Jul 25, 2013.

1. Adarya

As of late I've been in an extreme funk, especially when it comes to writing. I'm currently working on a fanfiction along with other stories, but my fanfiction update is my main priority. I haven't updated in over a month now. My problem is that every time I sit down and write - which is infrequent as it is- I can't help but feel that everything I write is complete trash. I've already tried taking breaks and distancing myself from writing for a bit, but when I come back I still feel terrible about what I write, and therefore stop altogether because of discouragement. Writing used to be extremely important to me - and still is because it's the only way to get my emotions, ideas, and feelings out - but I haven't been able to do it at all recently. I want to get back into it, update, and continue writing, only I have no idea how to get out of this "state" that I'm in right now of feeling awful about everything that I'm able to get down on paper. I normally end up deleting it because I hate so much of what I've written.

I feel like this might have some connection to my self-esteem issues, my anxiousness, or the stress in my life at the moment, but I felt that this post might get more responses in the "entertainment and media" forum than in the personal advice section.

All I want to do is stop this feeling that I get when I re-read my own writing, and get back to the point where I can write and enjoy it again. Please, does anyone else have these kind of problems when writing, and if so how do you get over them?

2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Try to envision yourself as somebody who is reading without internal knowledge that the author would have. Chances are it's not a quarter as bad as you think it is, because you are always your own worst critic and picture writing a grand, sweeping epic that just doesn't happen.*

*At least, I do, but if you know what you're going for, you can be satisfied with some result.

3. Jamilynn

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I love writing and I have this problem too. Another difficulty I have while writting is getting too caught up in the details and feeling discouraged because I think "oh, somebody has probably already written something like this, so what's the point?" I have so many writing ideas and projects I've started that never seem to go anywhere. Sometimes putting aside your writing for a while and coming back to it later helps me, but like you said it doesn't always work. Some things I like to try are going out in nature to write, it really inspires me, using my phone to record myself because many times I think of a good idea but can't write it all down before I forget it. I also like to free write which is just getting all my thoughts and feelings down, without having to worry about grammar, or it really making sence or being organized. The more you write, and the more often you do, the easier it becomes. I also have a friend who I exchange writing with from time to time and we help eachother that way. If writing is really important to you then you will keep writing, like I do, and eventually get through your funk. Hope this helps! :slight_smile: